feeding sprouts, grass alternative?

bluefeather2697

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 9, 2011
hi guys. i have chickens in an enclosed run. they barely have grass to eat and they just don't eat lettuce and other greens.

so im planning to imitate grass by sprouting oats and other grains i can try.
do u think this will work?

here is an example (not my pic). after they have grown this far. im planning to put them in the run.

Last edited:
There's a gal who grows and feeds sprouts to her flock. The set-up is brilliant: a systems of trays that are continually sprouting wheat grass. Her girls have a fresh tray every day, all year round. Here's a link. Hope it works
My Blog

I also grow flats of wheat grass for the chickens, but I just bungee cord it to the outside of the run (hardware cloth) so the blades poke through. Works great!

It will work! Just be sure they can't tip over whatever you plant in. After my girls promptly eliminated anything green growing in their run I sorta did the same thing. I used an old square plant flat from a nursery and lined the bottom with a piece of cardboard to hold the dirt in. Then we planted a handful of basic birdseed. It sprouted and when it was decent size we put it in the run. It was demolished in no time! I've done it again a few times for them, as well as pulling weeds from the yard and throwing them in there.

Our chickens are in an enclosed run that is empty of any natural growing greenery. When my husband mows our lawn (over an acre) we give them the fresh grass clippings. They go nuts over this treat they receive 2x per week :)

That's what I do too now, since the 4 chickies that live at home with us don't have any more grass in the always perfect flowerpots. I have started throwing seeds in the pots of some larger plants, just to grow around them, and I alternate and have several grass pots going on so that new sprouts are always ready when I have finished harvesting the previous batch. :) They love it for sure.

I would not start with legumes, too many toxins in the raw state. Try corn, wheat, oats, or sunflower.

Back
Top Bottom