Feeding the "Old fashioned way"

I am running heritage breeds, feeding naturally, and my hens lay one egg a day on average. Yes, they are slow growers but they dress out fine come Autumn. Maybe I am showing my age ;-)

[update 30 june] - I should clarify my definition of heritage breeds. I have Javas and Dorkings.

Indy

Last edited:
I always add some pigeon food to my flocks feed. Good stuff there, and they love it. All sorts of seed in there. Peas, popcorn, etc. chickens do very well on it.

Way back in the early 90's I had my first chickens. At that time I didn't have the internet, only knew one lady who had chickens and she fed them cracked corn. So, I fed my chickens cracked corn and they free ranged all day. I had so many eggs I did't know what to do with them. Now I try to buy the best food, use PDZ on the poop board and we just installed ridge vents on the coop. They have a fan that runs all day inside the coop due to the heat here in south Texas. They have a mist system under the trees in the backyard to keep them cool. Inside their coop they have tin pictures and curtains on the nest boxes. It use to be so simple, lol.

Hi can you give me a link or the name and type of food I should feed and how much I have a Rooster and one hen these two free range all day then they put themselves to bed in my rafters in the hay barn. I have one hen siting on three eggs right now she left the nest once after 6 days. Last night I built her a hideout with a dog crate and straw bails and moved her and her three eggs she seams content. I went to IFA explained my situation and he wanted me to buy a 50 pound bag of feed and had nothing smaller I belive it was chick starter he said I should get I walked out empty handed. I only have two hens and one rooster I rather buy more often than have a bag of feed that could go off.

My understanding is that grains alone do not have enough protein. I am currently feeding a non GMO, organic feed that uses fish meal as a base, rather than soy. It's not pelleted, but has more whole grains, so you might like it. There are different protein level options.

I order it from www.scratchandpeck.com

Hi can you give me a link or the name and type of food I should feed and how much I have a Rooster and one hen these two free range all day then they put themselves to bed in my rafters in the hay barn. I have one hen siting on three eggs right now she left the nest once after 6 days. Last night I built her a hideout with a dog crate and straw bails and moved her and her three eggs she seams content. I went to IFA explained my situation and he wanted me to buy a 50 pound bag of feed and had nothing smaller I belive it was chick starter he said I should get I walked out empty handed. I only have two hens and one rooster I rather buy more often than have a bag of feed that could go off.
If You are not feeding layer feed currently i would not worry for the moment. You did not say where You are located, what the weather or surrounding area is like. Am guessing You have acreage with your barn. So, if the eggs hatch, mom will take care of them by showing them whats out there to eat. As the weather gets colder i would try to have available some kind of layer / all purpose poultry for them as a supplement as long as they free range. I am totally wire fenced so worry less about predators, but that may be a consideration for You...
Good Luck, eliz

My understanding is that grains alone do not have enough protein.  I am currently feeding a non GMO, organic feed that uses fish meal as a base, rather than soy.  It's not pelleted, but has more whole grains, so you might like it.  There are different protein level options.

I order it from www.scratchandpeck.com

Correct. Grains alone are not enough. This k of OUR bodies...can WE live on just grain? ;)

Some grains have higher protein content and soy is a good choice, but not if you're non GMO or Organic....I can't, Won't use soy....but alfalfa hay is a great filler for late winter; great protein ratio... Most feeds contain poultry byproduct for added protein...can I just say..yuck. Haha.

Lentils. Beans. Mine love Winter peas. They grow through winter so they can go out and munch greens under the snow and in spring it drops its peas so then they eat those too! Great source of protein in legumes :)

Yes....my feed also has peas in it.
thumbsup.gif

What kind of peas are you using? I am planning to grow some next year along with corn and a few other ingredients (oats, etc).

Indy

Back
Top Bottom