Feeding/Watering Free Range Flock

crazi4chix

In the Brooder
May 8, 2015
Would appreciate some advice from you experienced free rangers. We are enjoying our first flock of 14 chickens, (2 Light Brahmas, 3 RRs, 3 BRs, 2 Cuckoo Marans, 1 EE, 1 Ancona, a Serama hen and a Serama Roo). They are about 18 weeks, and though we built them an extra large and functional coop with an extra long, secure run, we have decided to free range them in our large acre+ yard (we have 12.5 acres total).

Inside the coop we hang a large feeder which now holds laying pellets, there is also a large waterer, and another waterer out in their run.

We slowly transitioned to free ranging, and they are now out from about 8 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. when they go back to their coop for roosting on their own, and we lock them up securely each night. One hen, our Serama, is already laying.

I belatedly figured out that once out of the coop, the chickens do not go back in at all during the day for food or water, so when I found them all clustered around the dog's water dish on my front deck (pooping everywhere of course), it dawned on me they would need water sources around the yard. We have taken care of that.

QUESTION: Now I am wondering about their nutrition. My son says they haven't touched much of their laying ration in weeks. He used to put a couple large scoops in their feeder daily, but hasn't had to in quite some time. Do I need to offer the laying pellets out in the yard somewhere so they can eat while they free range? What about oyster shell? We currently offer it free choice in their run, but they are seldom there. There is plenty to much on around our yard and property (fruit, veg, grass, grain, bugs) though things are certainly a bit dry right now.

I am just worried they may not be getting enough protein and calcium. I think they do wake with the sun, so I thought they perhaps ate in their coop for the 3 or so hours they are locked up before we let them out, but they are often still on the roosts at 8 a.m.!

Thanks for your thoughts and advice :)

Sounds like our setups are about the same. I started with 8 Buff Orpingtons last year, 7 of which were hens and 1 roo. They've had quite the spring hatch so my current flock is:

7 - year+ old
18 - 2 month old
4 - 1 week old

They have a large coop with feeder and waterer inside and have free range of about 1 acre fenced in within the backyard on our 10 acre lot. What has worked for me, especially during the past few hot months has been the waterer in the coop for the hens when they finish laying, another hanging waterer in one of their shady spots, and then two cheap dog bowls in some of the corner areas.

As for food, I have two hanging feeders both inside the coop - one with layer pellets (hung high), one with starter grower (hung lower for the chicks). Most of the flock, including the older ones seem to prefer the higher protein. Other than that, they range! When they are out of the coop they will eat grass, bugs, worms, just about anything that grows or moves. After laying, I'll notice the girls pecking at the feeders in the coop but in general, they know where the food is and what their bodies need. As long as they can get back into the coop/run during the day if they want to, they'll be perfectly fine!

I am rather new as well and have 18 free range girls. I had the same problem so I moved their feed out to a nice shady spot where they free range. The little bug pickers still don't eat much feed. They love fresh opposed to processed. Good luck.

I would leave the food in the coop, out in the yard you may be feeding wild birds as well as your girls. It never hurts to keep them in the habit of returning to the coop for food and laying.
You will find that they will eat a lot less when free ranging while everything is green and the bugs are out. They also slow down when it's hot out. I just leave it out so they can feed if they want to and enjoy the savings you get in the summer cuz your feed bill will go up in the winter

Back
Top Bottom