Feeling Guilty - Can't Free Range as Much

Can neighbors split the cost of the section of fencing that you need between you and them? Leash laws don't go away with ecollars. Dog issues are inevitable when proper fencing isn't there. This might be one of the only times I'd say no to free ranging because I am very in favor of the benefits. But I really wouldn't consider it without fencing. You could cut cost by installing yourself. Also, something like a split rail fence system with fencing wire may be a cheaper yet very attractive option to all wood fence. Cost of this fence system for 1/2acre was significantly lower than all wood, keeps all dogs out. View attachment 3809445
Lovely fence and flock! We looked into getting one like this, but it was still a bit costly for us. We're likely going with a very simple post and wire fence--there are many out here in the country and they blend in well with the natural environment, event if not quite as nice as the split rail (which I think is soooo aesthetically lovely).

image_6483441.JPG

What is the height of your fence? 4'? I'm leaning towards 5' as a precaution, but I'm doubtful the neighbor's dog would jump 4' (he stays on their deck, which has 4' railing).

I doubt the dog will jump 4'
Lovely fence and flock! We looked into getting one like this, but it was still a bit costly for us. We're likely going with a very simple post and wire fence--there are many out here in the country and they blend in well with the natural environment, event if not quite as nice as the split rail (which I think is soooo aesthetically lovely).

View attachment 3809499

What is the height of your fence? 4'? I'm leaning towards 5' as a precaution, but I'm doubtful the neighbor's dog would jump 4' (he stays on their deck, which has 4' railing).
I don't think the dog can jump a 4', But if you feel scared, feel free to do a 5' for safety, I have two dogs guarding my chickens, They chased off a stray dog when it was trying to pounce on my birds, The sucker thought he was sneaky but my dogs caught on, Don't know how many times my dogs saved my birds, I put a 4' fence and the strays could not get in anymore.

I’m calling out your neighbors for being inconsiderate and lazy.

Maybe they are “nice” and neighbor wars are not good, so I don’t suggest any retaliatory behavior on your part.

But, they are on a new home high- it’s all fun and games and living the country life (I guess…), and Yippee! their dog runs all over, no worries for them. And, even better, their accommodating neighbors are going to bend over backwards for them to keep living a carefree life. Then, when they also decide to get chickens, get ready for them to free range your yard.

I feel for you. It’s a tricky situation dealing with inconsiderate and very clueless neighbors. Hopefully it all works out for you and the neighbors mature in a positive way.

View attachment 3809499

Thank you!! My fence is 5". I have very tall big dogs (Leonbergers.) If they can't get over it, no dog can. It would be good for a horse too. I think what you're looking at will be excellent!

Electric fencing! Much less expensive that anything else, if it's allowed where you live. However, it won't keep chickens in.
Woven wire fencing is great, and can be installed with wooden corner post assemblies and steel posts in between. We have it here, with electric on top, for our horses, and as part of our dog fencing. Dogs will dig under it! Without that electric topper, many dogs can easily jump four feet, and coyotes won't care a bit.
There's a very good softcover book called 'Fences For Pasture and Garden'. Find it and follow directions for fencing.
Mary

Owners have a responsibility to keep their animals on their own property, especially dogs, because they can be dangerous or do property damage (and it doesn't matter that the dog is "nice", nobody can guarantee what it will or it won't do). While you do have a responsibility to protect your chickens, in this particular case the dog coming onto your property is a responsibility of its owners, a failed one. You shouldn't be expected to bend over backwards and rearrange your life to accommodate their irresponsible behavior. Putting up fences shouldn't fall on you to protect yourself from people's dogs, it should be on the dog owners to pay for a fence to keep their dog in. Talk to them nicely but firmly and remind them that this issue has already come up before, and that there has been no action on their part. If they continue to ignore the problem and the dog continues to come onto your property, then talk to animal control, or the police, or whoever handles loose animals in your area.

I’m calling out your neighbors for being inconsiderate and lazy.

Maybe they are “nice” and neighbor wars are not good, so I don’t suggest any retaliatory behavior on your part.

But, they are on a new home high- it’s all fun and games and living the country life (I guess…), and Yippee! their dog runs all over, no worries for them. And, even better, their accommodating neighbors are going to bend over backwards for them to keep living a carefree life. Then, when they also decide to get chickens, get ready for them to free range your yard.

I feel for you. It’s a tricky situation dealing with inconsiderate and very clueless neighbors. Hopefully it all works out for you and the neighbors mature in a positive way.
thank you for your understanding words--I feel less crazy now. And yes, we're very concerned that if they get chickens they will become our problem somehow.

Right now things are good, and they're doing a pretty good job keeping their dog on their property with a few more lapses. He's a calm dog and I'm hoping I can work with him down the road (if they don't).

Electric fencing! Much less expensive that anything else, if it's allowed where you live. However, it won't keep chickens in.
Woven wire fencing is great, and can be installed with wooden corner post assemblies and steel posts in between. We have it here, with electric on top, for our horses, and as part of our dog fencing. Dogs will dig under it! Without that electric topper, many dogs can easily jump four feet, and coyotes won't care a bit.
There's a very good softcover book called 'Fences For Pasture and Garden'. Find it and follow directions for fencing.
Mary
good ideas! I did put up a (4 strand, polywire) hot wire fence around their coop and run--about a foot or two away from the structures--when we realized the dog might be a problem. we did watch him wander down one morning, though he never touched the wires or attempted to go beyond them; he just watched them for a while and went off to another part of our property. this gives me hope that he is not super high drive and could possibly be trained.

You raise really valuable points here--thank you for taking the time to interact with my concerns.

I think I'll work on enriching their run, and, perhaps offer to train their dog down the road. A fence has been on our bucket list for a while, so that's still in the cards once we get enough money together.
I definitely relate to you over this!!
I truly cherish my “free-range time” with my Chickens. It’s actual therapy for me! They are good little therapists… LOL!😉

Hmmm, I also have dealt with some bad neighbors as well. I hope with patience and consistency you can get thru to them. — I think what I would do in your situation is rearrange their outdoor run area, add more enrichment items and try to free-range them along with strict supervision as much as you can for both you & them.

I’m definitely glad to hear that you have a dog as well, maybe your dog can make friends with theirs and help with training their dog to keep away from the chickens and pay them no mind. I know dogs will often follow the behaviors of other dogs if they get along really well. Jeeez, however. I’d still worry. Dang, as I’m typing, maybe trying to befriend the neighbors dog isn’t a good idea at all. It just isn’t worth it when you truly get to thinking about it does get scary, doesn’t it??? — Yeah, I’d try to save up for fencing … that’s your safest bet!

Perhaps they will do a “good neighbor fence”? 🤷🏻‍♀️
Wishing you the Best of Luck!!! 🤞🏼

Back
Top Bottom