Female pekin duck loss of feathers around eyes? Help

latte510348

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 3, 2014
I have noticed for a long time nearly a year or so my pekin hen is loosing feathers around her eyes and it's kinda crusty and just on the very front of her eye it's kinda pink but another thing was her beak and feet losing there colour the feet where bright orange and the bill was to but now her bill is a very pale pink almost white and her feet have noticeably dropped in COLOUR to a more dull orange? If anyone knows anything please help I'm starting to worry

What does she eat, what is her environment like?

Can you upload a photo?
She eats really whatever I give them duck and goose crumble or sometimes just corn and chicken scratch all my birds get a huge bucket of scraps everyday so there's like vega tables spaghetti ect. It's winter here if that helps I live in Canada British Columbia so are winters can be pretty harsh some years if that helps

She eats really whatever I give them duck and goose crumble or sometimes just corn and chicken scratch all my birds get a huge bucket of scraps everyday so there's like vega tables spaghetti ect. It's winter here if that helps I live in Canada British Columbia so are winters can be pretty harsh some years if that helps
She needs a high-nutrient diet right now. Here is what I would do.

Get the best layer food I can, and a packet of poultry vitamin mix (with electrolytes and probiotics if available). I would get her on that food right away. I would then give her vitamins in her water twice a week for two weeks, then once a week after that for at least six weeks.

I would add two tablespoons of good quality dry cat kibble to her food daily. I would also add a tablespoon of ground flaxseed.

If possible, I would get her to a vet - I understand that is not always possible, but I feel she has something serious going on. It is possible she has some metal toxicity. If that is the case, then a food grade activated charcoal slurry at night is what I would give her, every other night for ten days or so.

This link has the recipe for the charcoal. I would not not not do the Epsom salt or molasses flush for her right now. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

I am not a vet, these are just things I would try based on what I have read, what vets have told me, and what I have tried myself.

There is something called duck viral infectious anemia, so that could be the problem. With viral diseases, my general approach is to boost the health of the critter (myself included), and let their immune system work.

Keep plenty of fresh water with her at all times. You probably will do better with her in a relatively warm shelter. Doesn't have to be the Taj Mahal, but a safe, clean, dry, above-freezing place with good bedding, fresh water, and high nutrition till she's through the crisis.

If it is metal toxicity, that is very serious. If it is nutritional, I would expect her to perk up within a week if you give her what I suggested. If she does not, I would still give her those things to eat and drink, but I would start looking into ways to deal with the toxicity. There are things called chelating agents that are used to protect the body till the metal passes.

Last edited:
For the eyes .. does she have access to water deep enough to dunk her head?? i use Polysporin for eyes, you can get that at a drug store.

As for the paler colour, that could be diet related or could be because she isn't laying?(or is she ??) i do know mine changed colour when they came into lay, oddly enough one of my 5 females has returned to laying.

For what it's worth my birds get a grower(16%) and a 4 grain and whole corn, and forage. I also put oyster shell out, as i own many drakes i do not use a layer. You could try a poultry vitamin mix in the water in case of a deficiency. Try at your feed mill.

Personally, i would cut back on the scraps some are fine but if they consuming more than staples feeds that could be part of the problem.

Last edited:
It
For the eyes .. does she have access to water deep enough to dunk her head??  i use Polysporin for eyes, you can get that at a drug store.

As for the paler colour, that could be diet related or could be because she isn't laying?(or is she ??) i do know mine changed colour when they came into lay, oddly enough one of my 5 females has returned to laying.

For what it's worth my birds get a grower(16%) and a 4 grain and whole corn, and forage. I also put oyster shell out, as i own many drakes i do not use a layer. You could try a poultry vitamin mix in the water in case of a deficiency. Try at your feed mill.

Personally, i would cut back on the scraps some are fine but if they consuming more than staples feeds that could be part of the problem.
its winter here so nothing but one of my chickens are laying eggs rarely do I ever get eggs from that duck and the eye thing isn't that bad it looks like she just got a few feathers pulled out or maybe the rooster got at her eyes idk fighting maybe but I have muscovys aswell and I've never had any health isuse with them and there fine with the food they eat and I was just taking a close look around her eyes and it almost seems to be getting better and I also think it's cause they like to play in the mud and the mud gets all matted all over there bills and face then gets frozen and pulls off "with the feathers" but she has nothing else wrong besides feathers gone around her eyes and the other mallard Peking cross I actually don't know what she is she looks like a Rouen but idk there sisters but she has nothing wrong either nor do my chickens Muscovys or pigeons

It
its winter here so nothing but one of my chickens are laying eggs rarely do I ever get eggs from that duck and the eye thing isn't that bad it looks like she just got a few feathers pulled out or maybe the rooster got at her eyes idk fighting maybe but I have muscovys aswell and I've never had any health isuse with them and there fine with the food they eat and I was just taking a close look around her eyes and it almost seems to be getting better and I also think it's cause they like to play in the mud and the mud gets all matted all over there bills and face then gets frozen and pulls off "with the feathers" but she has nothing else wrong besides feathers gone around her eyes and the other mallard Peking cross I actually don't know what she is she looks like a Rouen but idk there sisters but she has nothing wrong either nor do my chickens Muscovys or pigeons

I'm winter too, i am in Ontario lol

Like i said surprisingly a pekin has return to lay after a brief break. Their are a thousand and one things they can and will get in those eyes, that is why ensuring they have access to water deep enough to dunk their heads is important, i have heated buckets here... plus i try to keep rubber bowls open if the temps allow. Again, Polysporin for eyes works wonderfully on ailments of the eyes with ducks, if you see crusty buildup i would recommend it's use.

quote name="Going Quackers" url="/t/943899/female-pekin-duck-loss-of-feathers-around-eyes-help#post_14548138"]

I'm winter too, i am in Ontario lol

Like i said surprisingly a pekin has return to lay after a brief break. Their are a thousand and one things they can and will get in those eyes, that is why ensuring they have access to water deep enough to dunk their heads is important, i have heated buckets here... plus i try to keep rubber bowls open if the temps allow. Again, Polysporin for eyes works wonderfully on ailments of the eyes with ducks, if you see crusty buildup i would recommend it's use.
[/quote] all my birds have big bowls and buckets deep enough to submerge there entire head and neck in cause don't they have to clear out there nostrils by sneezing in the water. Mine always start huffing air thru there nose in water and it sounds like there sneezing

Back
Top Bottom