Female quail screaming w/ head out of cage.. WTF?

Pics
@Nabiki if my quail are jumbos with stunted growth, could they potentially lay normal sized eggs? If there’s one thing I’m sure about them it’s that they lay jumbo quail sized eggs. Their eggs are all huge apart from Hercules who has only recently begun laying. None of them have ever been double yolkers as far as I know.

What is the average weight for jumbo quail eggs in grams or oz.? I would like to weigh my eggs.

@Nabiki if my quail are jumbos with stunted growth, could they potentially lay normal sized eggs? If there’s one thing I’m sure about them it’s that they lay jumbo quail sized eggs. Their eggs are all huge apart from Hercules who has only recently begun laying. None of them have ever been double yolkers as far as I know.

What is the average weight for jumbo quail eggs in grams or oz.? I would like to weigh my eggs.
Idk jumbo eggs but my standard eggs are 9g-12g

So does that mean that some of my quail are like a medium sized bigger than standard but smaller than jumbo? Cause I’ve heard jumbo eggs are around twice the size of standard eggs.
If they don't make weight, they're considered standard. There are a lot of factors that can affect their weight, but the general rule is if they aren't 10 oz by 10 weeks, they're not jumbo. It's very easy for quail to not be jumbos. Keeping the lines breeding as jumbos takes work.

If they don't make weight, they're considered standard. There are a lot of factors that can affect their weight, but the general rule is if they aren't 10 oz by 10 weeks, they're not jumbo. It's very easy for quail to not be jumbos. Keeping the lines breeding as jumbos takes work.
Ok they were close one was 9.03oz and another is 8.68oz

I weighed their eggs.
Spot's are 16g
George's are 14g
Hercules' are 13g, but she just started laying.
None of them are double yolk.

Does this prove anything? They all lay jumbo quail sized eggs. They could just be jumbos with stunted growth or the jumbos in Australia could just be smaller than those in America. They are only about 1 oz. less than standard size, they could simply be stunted.

I weighed their eggs.
Spot's are 16g
George's are 14g
Hercules' are 13g, but she just started laying.
None of them are double yolk.

Does this prove anything? They all lay jumbo quail sized eggs. They could just be jumbos with stunted growth or the jumbos in Australia could just be smaller than those in America. They are only about 1 oz. less than standard size, they could simply be stunted.
Jumbo is not a breed. Jumbo is a size the bloodline you are working with has been expressed towards. Primarily used to describe bird weight with the jumbo eggs being a secondary factor. The larger eggs show they had the potential to be larger and means you may probably want make sure you have routine checkups on vents and and stay very attentive to laying patterns to catch egg binding early. possibly try to limit their egg laying to more natural times of year as well. but thats only if you want to because they will probably be fine.

Jumbo is not a breed. Jumbo is a size the bloodline you are working with has been expressed towards. Primarily used to describe bird weight with the jumbo eggs being a secondary factor. The larger eggs show they had the potential to be larger and means you may probably want make sure you have routine checkups on vents and and stay very attentive to laying patterns to catch egg binding early. possibly try to limit their egg laying to more natural times of year as well. but thats only if you want to because they will probably be fine.
George has had that problem before, and she's perfectly fine now. They definitely did have the potential to be larger, but they haven't suffered because of that.
I do check on George's vent often for this reason.

Back
Top Bottom