Wobbly Button Quail

EARR

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2023
Hi again, as some of you may not know, we took in button quail from a bad situation. They seemed to be doing well, females laying eggs, etc.

Yesturday, 1 female started falling forward and now she falls sideways. She can not stand at all.

Eating
Drinking
Pooping - photos below

other female with her is completely fine.

normal Enclosure 4 x 2 x 2 with a soft screen top (supposed to help prevent them from hurting themselves when they shoot up in the air)
wood shavings
Bird crumble from a quail farm
Finch seed
Dried Meal worms
Dried black soldier fly larva
Dried Flowers
Fresh Greens
Grit with calcium
water changed daily and up off of the ground
2 hides for each bird
UV lights as well as natural light
kept between 65-75 degrees

What am I missing?
I am making sure she is eating and drinking everytime she wakes up. She has been sleeping pretty much since yesterdays only waking up to flail out of her little bed to poop, which is when I am feeding her and giving water.

I have her isolated in a little cage on a heating pad sitting right on my desk so I can see her.

It is covered with a towel as to give her coverage to feel safe

Did she hit her head?

What can I do for her?

Attachments

• IMG_3837.jpg
    IMG_3837.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3838.jpg
    IMG_3838.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3839.jpg
    IMG_3839.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3840.jpg
    IMG_3840.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 6
First thing, stop all of the treats. Everything but the crumble is a treat. The crumble should be a balanced feed, and all of the treats are throwing the nutrition off. Treats shouldn't be more than 10% of her diet.

The poop looks watery, which implies that she's not eating properly, but I'm not a vet, and it could mean something else. @007Sean will know better than I.

Do you know how old she is?
Does she have any swelling? Check her joints and body to see. Any swelling may not be immediately visible.

First thing, stop all of the treats. Everything but the crumble is a treat. The crumble should be a balanced feed, and all of the treats are throwing the nutrition off. Treats shouldn't be more than 10% of her diet.

The poop looks watery, which implies that she's not eating properly, but I'm not a vet, and it could mean something else. @007Sean will know better than I.

Do you know how old she is?
Does she have any swelling? Check her joints and body to see. Any swelling may not be immediately visible.
I agree with @Nabiki , about it's diet and at the same time, I'm not a vet either! but it could be several things that can be causing the issue/behavior. Is it lethargic, fluffed up, droopy wings?

One is Mareks, as far as balance issues, 2 is Ulcerative Enteritus, as far as the watery , chalky poop, lethargic, droopy wings, fluffed up appearance. 3 is Pullorum disease also known as White diarrhea or Salmonella pullorum, as evident in your photos.

1 and 3 are highly unlikely but could occur in quail. 2 is the most likely, this disease is brought on by unsanitary conditions, feces in the water or feed, ie; the breeders place you got them from, and can spread like wildfire and wipeout your entire flock in just a few days, if treatment is not administered ASAP. Tetracycline, Duramycin or Oxytetracycline are the usual drugs given for treatment, given in their water and now days are obtainable by a vet script.

A visit to a vet is your best avenue to determine the cause of this illness.

Back
Top Bottom