Fence Height for Chicken Run

Bucky52, sounds like you're living the dream!

Glad to hear that many aren't closing the door, I'd love to leave that as a form of ventilation, and since it doesn't get that cold or hot here in the Columbia River Basin (except for two weeks for each) I don't expect too many issues with heat loss.

I have a 10 gallon drum that I want to use to provide water to my chickens, I've purchased the watering nipples. How high above the nipples does the drum need to be? If it is only 1-2 feet higher, will it provide enough pressure? I presume that the nipples don't need extra pressure to push the water out.

I appreciate the help. I will have to start building pretty quick, my 3 week old chicks are hopping on the edge of their brooder getting ready to explore The Other Side... (they're safe in my back room).

Bucky52, sounds like you're living the dream!

Glad to hear that many aren't closing the door, I'd love to leave that as a form of ventilation, and since it doesn't get that cold or hot here in the Columbia River Basin (except for two weeks for each) I don't expect too many issues with heat loss.

I have a 10 gallon drum that I want to use to provide water to my chickens, I've purchased the watering nipples. How high above the nipples does the drum need to be? If it is only 1-2 feet higher, will it provide enough pressure? I presume that the nipples don't need extra pressure to push the water out.
[/I]

Yes, that will be fine. I put my bucket about 1 1/2 feet above the nipples and it is fine. For that matter, I think the bucket could be just *barely* above the nipples and it would work.

I actually buried my water line and brought it back up again...but lower than the bucket. This way the bucket is outside of the run (easier to fill/maintain) and the bucket is in shade so it won't be subject to our brutal sun. In addition, the water lines' being burried ought to keep the water cooler in the summer.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom