Fence Jumping Bird Question

bvak123

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 21, 2014
So my wife and I decided to jump in and get some chickens. We will have 4 chicks will come home soon and I have started the coop in preparation for them moving out in 8 or so weeks. My design so far is a 4x8 structure (coop and run) about 7’ tall at the top of the roof. It is about 2’ away from the back of my privacy fence which is about 6’6” tall in most places. I have started to worry that when I let them out to roam in the back yard the chickens might be able to “hop” the fence or if they managed to get on top of the coop, jump over the fence. If they were to get over the fence would they tend to stay close or would they wander away? Do I have anything to worry about? All of the chickens should weigh 6-7 lb when mature.

I wouldn't want them in a neighbors yard dogs/kids all the other stuff that loves to eat chicken. I would clip their wings so they can't get over the fence.

Clip one wing on each bird. That will stop them from getting too high. All you have to do is get some good scissors and cut the primary feathers by about 3 inches (or so they are the same length as the secondary feathers)

Back
Top Bottom