Fence Post spacing for Goats

Dogginfox

Crowing
16 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Athens, Ga/ Hayesville, NC
I found a pair of Pygmy goats and need to start working on a fence to divide my backyard into 2 sections so that the goats will not bother my garden in the summer. How far apart should I space the fence post? I am planning on using 4x4s or similar so that I can mount bird feeders and houses on top. Also what type of fencing should I use? Electric or cattle type?

I'm thinking about 10 ft apart for the posts, and get the field fencing with smaller holes on bottom and larger on top. We have 1 strand of electric fence in the center of the fence, and they have never touched it, so up to you if you want to put it there, or on the top. Ours are in a backyard pen within a pasture that also has field fencing and electric. But chain link would probably work well too. With any fence, make sure they can't push out under the bottom.

Goats are fun!

Directly next to each other otherwise your little goaties WILL get out
lau.gif
gig.gif

Other wise, it really depends on what type of fencing you wind up using. I suggest a 2" x 4" "no climb" horse fencing with an electric wire at the top. You can get the fencing at tractor supply unless you have a fencing place near you. With the horse fencing you could go 10', probably 12' if you'd want to. DO NOT get what they call goat fencing. The squares are 4" x 4" and they can get their heads stuck outside the fencing (we have larger goats, but the babies were constantly getting stuck when they were smaller
he.gif
) And, the goats DO figure out how to climb the fence in order to get to the greener grass on the other side
lau.gif
I have one that still climbs out, but she eats her fill of alfalfa from the field, and goes right back in
roll.png

I have Nigerian Dwarfs and we used wooden posts 10' apart and the 2x4 no climb woven wire horse fence from TSC. Just make sure the fence is stretched tight and it is against the ground. So far my goats haven't gotten out but they have a pretty large space and seem to be happy in it.

Back
Top Bottom