Fencing Question: Will they fly over?

CAChick

Hatching
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
Shasta County
We are new at this and we have a challenge:
We would like to separate our backyard into 2 sections, hens & children. My question is how tall does the fence need to be? Do we need to block their view? We're afraid that if the hens can see us they'll fly on over, but we'd like to be able to see into the hen area (3-4 ft picket fence?). We'd hate to build a fence that doesn't work! We have no preditor issues thus far. Our variety pack includes: Aruacana, Leghorn, Black Star, Polish, & Wyandotte.
Thanks!

theres 2 things you can do to keep hens from flying over the fence.1 is to build a 6ft tall fence.an 2 is clipp 1 of their wings.clipping makes their wings uneven an they cant fly to good.tobe safe id do both.build a 6ft fence an clipp their wings.

I have a five foot fence that the hens could easily hop up on. I had to clip their wings (to be safe I clipped both wings) and that did the trick. It doesn't hurt them and is probably equivalent to cutting your fingernails as far as what they feel goes. Feathers don't have nerve endings.

Our old neighbors clipped their chickens wings, but they just hopped over the fence! It was 4 ft chainlink, with about another foot of honeysuckle piled up on top. I think they actually hopped on, and then over.

I use 4ft tall picket fence for my pen and 5ft chain link for the pasture and I have never had a hen fly/jump over and I have both bantams and standard size hens. The banties sneak out though gaps in the corners sometimes. I would stick on the safe size and use a 6ft fence. You could use 4ft picket to make it look nice and add an extra two feet of chicken wire to the top.

Quote:
Agreed
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom