Neighbourhood rat problem and grumpy neighbour

Saie609

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2022
Back information before I get to the problem at hand. I live at the end of the road. I have 5 gardens that back into mine from the next street over. The village I live in is completely surrounded by vegetative farmlands. My husband and I have been working our butts off since we moved into this house 2.5 years ago. The inside needed to be stripped and redone and we are still working on it ourselves as and when we can. We have a very long garden which was a complete mess when we moved in. It took the entire first summer to get it looking ok. We’ve since put in 8 raised beds, 4 fruit trees, 5 fruit bushes (that we intend to keep short out of respect to the end two neighbours). We like to keep our grass a bit longer than usual for ladybugs and such, but short enough to push our manual mower through. This has apparently been an issue for one of the neighbours because she has to see it, but won’t put a higher fence up. We have a large chicken and duck run (about 6’tall by 10’ long by 6’wide) which we told the back 2 neighbours would be put where it is, they had no issues with it. To our other side, that neighbour hasn’t finished their fence yet (it’s been a year and a half left where it is), his neighbours fence isn’t complete, their neighbour doesn’t have a fence the other side, etc all the way to the end of the road. Only 1 of the 5 neighbours gardens that back onto mine has a proper fence. The others are a hedge, sheet metal, a chain link fence, and a badly damaged fence that we can’t fix because there is too much ivy growing up it. We’ve been very neighbourly to the last 2 because they seemed nice and are elderly. We gave the last guy some duck and chicken eggs with no expectations of him giving us anything, but he said he couldn’t take them if we didn’t accept vegetables from his garden and so we started swapping food. It was great. Then a few weeks ago my husband was letting the girls out of their coop in the morning and the last guy confronted him saying if we don’t get rid of the rats, he’d contact the local authority. I’m at a loss for what to do because as I said, we are surrounded by farmlands so rats are to be expected. They scurry through everyone’s gardens and all we can do is take preventative measures in our own gardens. Even the neighbourhood cats can’t scare them off. We even stopped adding anything to our compost pile to try and prevent them coming in for it once we realised there were rats. I’m wondering if corrugated metal driven into the soil about 3’ would deter them going to his garden from ours(although they’ve always been in his garden, he’s just looking for a fight as he starts fights with everyone in the neighbourhood apparently). I’m so tempted to ask him to do something about the pidgins that roost in his massive oak tree that overhangs our vegetable garden and therefore eat my seedlings 🙈. Maybe I’ll call the LA on him for not dealing with them. See how ridiculous that sounds? It is impossible for us to solely take care of all of the rats.

So your neighbor is blaming you for rats being around, even though they’ve always been around. Ignore him. Calling someone on him will only escalate the situation. He can’t do anything about the flying rats in his tree just like you can’t do anything about the ground rats that run around out there. Let it go. As long as you’re doing things legally, ie you have the law on your side to keep the animals, there’s nothing he can do so let him call whoever. Who cares? Unless he were to enter your property without permission and hurt animals or damage property, l then it doesn’t matter what he wants. If he starts fights with everyone then just don’t fight with him. Keep an eye on your property and animals.

Make sure that your coop and run are rat proof, because they will eat chicken feed and kill chickens at night. Most/ many cats won't take on adult rats, that's just how it is. 'Rat terriers' are well named, and having good perimeter fencing, essential to keep your critters in, and neighboring critters out.
Fencing rats out, not possible!
Well set up bait stations if necessary, and agree that ignoring this neighbor might be your best option.
Mary

Sorry you are going through this. Just do what you can to mitigate things - no food at all overnight in the coops or run, or even ripe fruits in the garden, pick them in a timely way. If you can access them, trail cams can be helpful for showing that the rats aren't going to your coop/run area and thus not chickens faults.

What state or country does the OP live in? Might make a difference in the advice, it reads as non U.S. perhaps? Most communities will have laws requiring yards and gardens being kept in a manner to deter rats, usually by having stored items like wood piles up off the ground to allow natural predators to do their job.

To deal with rodents you choke off their access to food. Nothing else will work long term.

Ugh, what.a horrible neighbor. Do you know if they're getting into the chicken feed?
They aren’t, no. The excess feed is in a locked metal bin, and the trough is difficult to open so no rat is getting that.

Make sure that your coop and run are rat proof, because they will eat chicken feed and kill chickens at night. Most/ many cats won't take on adult rats, that's just how it is. 'Rat terriers' are well named, and having good perimeter fencing, essential to keep your critters in, and neighboring critters out.
Fencing rats out, not possible!
Well set up bait stations if necessary, and agree that ignoring this neighbor might be your best option.
Mary
As far as I can see, no rats are getting in. We’ve put fencing with very small holes (way too small for a mouse to fit, let alone a rat, at the bottom of the run along the inside edge, put cement slabs and bricks on top and I see no tunnels or holes. I do check every day. We have 3 ducks so I don’t know if rats mess with them? Our garden is over 120’ long by 30’ wide and our birds are at the far end, but we have rats come to our back door. They’re literally everywhere. Unfortunately in the UK ignoring him won’t help because, from my understanding, the local authority does have the jurisdiction to make one get rid of most types of pets if they’re causing a nuisance (outside of cats and dogs). Anyone from the uk, correct me if I’m wrong.

Back
Top Bottom