Fermented Feed for Quail

OK I mixed 50/50 feed and water volume-wise a week ago. Haven't noticed fermentation yet (does not smell like alcohol and does not bubble). The mixture looks a little dry so I'm not sure if bubble would be formed. I left it outside so it may be too cold to ferment, around 40-50 F at night.

Should I wait longer before feeding them to the quail or do you think it's ready?

OK I mixed 50/50 feed and water volume-wise a week ago. Haven't noticed fermentation yet (does not smell like alcohol and does not bubble). The mixture looks a little dry so I'm not sure if bubble would be formed. I left it outside so it may be too cold to ferment, around 40-50 F at night.

Should I wait longer before feeding them to the quail or do you think it's ready?

You can go ahead and feed it now, or like @Invision suggested up the temp a bit so it can ferment faster.

Also I forgot to say, "Yeast" Requires at least 62 degrees unless using a Lager yeast (home brewer). Standard fermentation of Barley, wheat, and Oats is around 68. So anything under 60 well not be enough to activate the yeast. seeing as how their food is made from the above you will need to bring the feed inside. Like I've said early the smell is nothing to worry about.

I did however try to speed a batch up and left it near the fireplace and that was a mistake, it fermented in a day but smelled not so good so I don't recommend that...

Someone in this thread stated that they mix the fermented feed(oxygen ) to create an aerobic environment,

Isn't this supposed to be an anaerobic lactic acid type fermentation?

Thanks Sill & Invision for your help. My feed is fermented now. I can smell the alcohol. Not too strong but it's there. I fed to two of the cages first. I screwed a plastic bowl (cheap) on a 3/4 inch board so it won't flip. Saw some birds jumped and walked on it but not too bad, didn't scratch all over. After a couple days they seem to like them now. I'll remove the regular dry feed soon. Will probably do this on 1/2 the cages and observe the difference in poop sizes :)

Following instructions on this forum, when it ran low I just put in equal volume of water and feed, water first and stirring well, then the feed. It seems to ferment the next day. Great process.

Now I need to build FF feeder that can store enough feed for one day for 8-10 birds that I have in each cage.

Well i wouldn't leave the feed in there cage for days at a time, I've been feeding them half a cup for 4 birds and they get that twice a day, once at 6:30ish and again at 4pm. By morning the bowl is empty. I think the buggers can see in the dark because I turn lights off at 6 at night and some how they still finish the food.

I'm not planning to leave the fermented feed for more than a day, but can't feed them twice a day either. Will have to figure out how much is right. Probably will still leave the dry food in there so they won't go hungry.

I just bought some plastic containers. I"m constructing a simple feeder thingy that won't allow them to jump on and poop all over. Will show photo when I'm done.

Thanks Sill & Invision for your help. My feed is fermented now. I can smell the alcohol. Not too strong but it's there. I fed to two of the cages first. I screwed a plastic bowl (cheap) on a 3/4 inch board so it won't flip. Saw some birds jumped and walked on it but not too bad, didn't scratch all over. After a couple days they seem to like them now. I'll remove the regular dry feed soon. Will probably do this on 1/2 the cages and observe the difference in poop sizes :)

Following instructions on this forum, when it ran low I just put in equal volume of water and feed, water first and stirring well, then the feed. It seems to ferment the next day. Great process.

Now I need to build FF feeder that can store enough feed for one day for 8-10 birds that I have in each cage.
Yeah it can take a few days. Most of these birds have been imprinted on eating nothing but dry food so this wet stuff can seem pretty strange. But they are curious so that helps get them to try it. It will be interesting to find out the differences in their poop.

Well i wouldn't leave the feed in there cage for days at a time, I've been feeding them half a cup for 4 birds and they get that twice a day, once at 6:30ish and again at 4pm. By morning the bowl is empty. I think the buggers can see in the dark because I turn lights off at 6 at night and some how they still finish the food.
Mine are pretty active at night. In my urban setting there always seems to be a bit of light coming from one place or another so they can see enough to eat.

I'm not planning to leave the fermented feed for more than a day, but can't feed them twice a day either. Will have to figure out how much is right. Probably will still leave the dry food in there so they won't go hungry.

I just bought some plastic containers. I"m constructing a simple feeder thingy that won't allow them to jump on and poop all over. Will show photo when I'm done.
It really won't hurt to leave enough out for them that they have food through the end of the day. The beneficial culture in FF doesn't allow much chance for bad bacteria to gain a foothold.

Everyone please post photos of your FF feeders. I'd love to see what you all come up with.

Back
Top Bottom