Fermented feed, free choice.

They’re just not eating it much at all. They’re definitely going through a pretty thorough molt (most of them) so that could be part of the reason.
Very possible - my girls are eating so much less that I've put away one of my fermented feed bowls for the season (normally I put out 4, right now it's 3) and they're also eating a lot less in pellets as well. Doesn't help that we're already seeing a lot less daylight hours too. Until they finish molting and see longer days they may continue to be off their feed.

That’s really interesting. I guess I notice it more when just one hen is molting instead of a whole flock, the way they seem to eat less and feel crappy. The winds and cold have picked up and I’m sure that’s not making them any more comfortable. I’m keeping them in the indoor greenhouse run for most of the morning to avoid the breeze and keep them more comfortable. It’s not their favorite place to hang out, but at least it has easy access to food, water, scratching and pecking and bathing. Suppose I’ll cut back on the amount I ferment and just measure how much they consume. Worse case scenario they eat the dry food instead.

At my old house I had three chickens. I let them free-range the yard (1/3 urban acre, fenced) and fed them in the morning. I fermented their feed (mixed grains) for three days, four bottles rotating. I put 1/3 cup of dry grain mix in each bottle. 1/4 cup was too little, 1/2 cup they usually left some. If it dried out I just dumped it and they'd scratch it up.

I plan to do the same for the chicks I have now.

Feed made of barley, wheat, oats, flax, and dried duckweed. Sunflower seeds might make a good substitute for flax, or an addition if I find prices are rising. Anyway, it's something I can grow myself.

Back
Top Bottom