Fermented Feed Questions

http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/p/fermented-feed.html?m=1

That link takes you to the blog that got me started on FF. I think she does a good job of explaining the entire process and it's benefits, as well as providing references for further study.

To answer weezilgirl's questions, it's my understanding that chickens of every age will benefit from FF. I've also read that any feed can be fermented, including pellets, crumbles and whole grains. Right now I'm using Scratch & Peck Feeds starter, but I'll be switching to grower as soon as this bag of starter is gone. The grower is a whole grain mix, while the starter is ground, so it will be interesting to see the differences after fermentation.

https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

Here is another link I found useful. I picked this up in another thread but I don't remember which. This method seems to really simplify the whole process. I'm going to worry less about keeping the feed covered with water like this post suggests (meaning I'm not going to bother and see how it goes). I've noticed that the ladies don't particularly care for the "runny" mix when I get carried away with the water, so this will be easier on all of us.

Hi cmak!

When I first started trying the FF I kept the water level about 1/2" above the feed in my jar. When I went to feed the first time out of the FF mixture I found it runny and could barely spoon it out into the feeder. I immediately abandoned that and I haven't had any problems with my mixture, however, I did find that around the top of the jar some of the FF would get a little dried out ( mostly what was left around the rim and not in the main portion of FF ). I began religiously stirring twice a day, sometimes three and that took care of that. I keep my FF in between a Peanut Butter and an Oatmeal consistency, and it seems to work ok.

Hey timbowsr, thanks for the info. I guess my biggest concern was the dreaded mold. I haven't had any issues so far, so hopefully that theme will continue. I do stir the mix at least twice a day, sometimes 3. I try to scrape the sides down to avoid the crusty dried bits. I keep reading about this white fuzz (aka "good stuff) that people sometimes see...but I have yet to see it in the FF. I do gets lots of the bubbles though, and that sweet/sour smell. I'm guessing the bacteria is working, even if it doesn't show itself. Oh, my ladies like their FF at a peanut butter consistency too. They'll eat it when it's runny, but they give me dirty looks while they do it.
wink.png

https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

Here is another link I found useful. I picked this up in another thread but I don't remember which. This method seems to really simplify the whole process. I'm going to worry less about keeping the feed covered with water like this post suggests (meaning I'm not going to bother and see how it goes). I've noticed that the ladies don't particularly care for the "runny" mix when I get carried away with the water, so this will be easier on all of us.

Thanks for this link. It sounds easy enough. I've got my first batch going....although I had already started it in several individual jars. This person simplifies and explains it pretty well. Now I know to cancel plans for going to the store to find "starter".

I really hope I'm able to do this successfully, as I'm needing to keep our feed bill under control. The "other" benefits won't hurt, either! We had 10 girls in January. Then I hatched a few....and then a few more...and then a few more...and then went to a local hatchery and bought some more. I "think" I have just over 40 now, but who's counting, right? :oops:

I keep waiting for an "intervention". Did I mention that chickens are against our POA by-laws? Oh, and that I have 100 quail eggs ordered? I'm an older, new-stay-at-home mom who had a very fast-paced career.....gotta have some type of hobby to keep me occupied, right? ;)

I like the individual jars because then I'm cleaning them every few days and the chance of mold is gone. I remember being s new stay at home I lasted 8 months then I said either we have another or I'm going back to work
1f60a.png
!! She was too easy a baby!!
This is the easiest method I've seen
http://ohlardy.com/fermented-chicken-feed/

Last edited:
I like the individual jars because then I'm cleaning them every few days and the chance of mold is gone. I remember being s new stay at home I lasted 8 months then I said either we have another or I'm going back to work
1f60a.png
!! She was too easy a baby!!
THAT'S EXACTLY WHERE I AM...BEEN HOME ONE YEAR. TIME FOR ANOTHER OR BACK TO WORK I GO!!

This is the easiest method I've seen
http://ohlardy.com/fermented-chicken-feed/

Does yours have that much water in it?

EASY FERMENTING FOR DUMMIES
1f423.png

I have 4 quart jars , numbered 1-4,I use the first one which has sat for 3 days , stirred it twice a day.feed the 1 1/2 -2 cups it makes to my 10 chicks am and pm.then wash the jar add 2 cups hot water, 1 cup chick crumble,And 1 TB apple cider vinegar (regular kind) stir and place it last in line.by the time I make it back to one its all fermented and smells like sour dough bread! My number labels are at the 2 cup level!
Bought a small strainer today so it's not so juicy, my 10 day old chicks are healthy and strong. They were eatting 4 cups of crumble dry and spilling most of it
1f425.png

Do you put lids on your jars or leave them open?

Back
Top Bottom