Fermented Feeds

fireflyhatchery

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
1549 Firefly Rd. Dundee IA 52038
I have been looking through forums on fermented feed for chickens and thought that this is an excellent way to help increase weight and keep a good dieting in the flock. I am curious of what are some good mixes and different grains that can be used. If anyone has some mixes to feed a flock of 25 let me know. Thanks

Maidenwolf brings up an excellent point regarding the huge fermentation thread. When a thread reaches thousands of posts, it might be best to delete it and start it over. Nobody has that kind of time on their hands just to glean a little info.

Delete two years of compiled information simply because someone doesn't want to read?
th.gif
What about those who want to read it? It's not "a little info"..it's many people's experiences with this feeding method that form a complete picture of the worth of the method. There are very few studies out there done on the use of FF for poultry and certainly none on backyard flocks, so those anecdotal stories and reports are all we have when needing to know the capabilities of this method.

Delete two years of other's hard work because you don't want to do any hard work(though I don't consider reading hard work)? Lovely. You wouldn't even have this thread right now if that thread had not come to be, of that I am fully convinced.

That "natural" chicken keeping blog you all are so fond of? She got her information from information that started in the big FF thread and was carried over into one of mine...I wouldn't be so quick to scorn the source of it all.

Last edited:
That thread will take a life time to get thru just to get some info.
I use a 5 gallon bucket, fill it half full of their feed and I add BOSS, 1/4 cup ACV with mother and water to cover. As this expands I stir and add water as needed. I keep a kitchen towel over the bucket. Depending on were you keep it, the feed could start fermenting in just a few days. When you stir it and bubbles start appearingit is ready. I really like it for all of my birds, it has so much good bacteria and nutrients.

That thread will take a life time to get thru just to get some info.
I use a 5 gallon bucket, fill it half full of their feed and I add BOSS, 1/4 cup ACV with mother and water to cover. As this expands I stir and add water as needed. I keep a kitchen towel over the bucket. Depending on were you keep it, the feed could start fermenting in just a few days. When you stir it and bubbles start appearingit is ready. I really like it for all of my birds, it has so much good bacteria and nutrients.

That may be so but they don't mind repetative questions so no need to start at the beginning.
wink.png

There are many different ingrediants that are being used aside from what you've mentioned. It's really up to the individuals to decide what's best for their usage.

I have a dumb question. With regards to fermented feed, how do you feed it to your birds? I use gravity feeders and don't think that would work. Also do you strain the feed from the liquid? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this! Thanks!

Sorry you had a bad experience...you are speaking from experience I hope and not gossip?
Yes this was from experience. I do not gossip.

I have a dumb question. With regards to fermented feed, how do you feed it to your birds? I use gravity feeders and don't think that would work. Also do you strain the feed from the liquid? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this! Thanks!
There is not a dumb question. I am not sure if the gravity thing would work,,, I make feeders from pvc pipe and it works great. You dont want to use metal as the vinegar will destroy the metal and make teh food toxic. The feed will expand with the water. I use a method that is alittle thicker. I do not use a bucket with holes set in a larger bucket like some use. If my mixture is too thin I add alittle dry feed to it as I serve it. This is just a way I found works for me. There are so many ways to do it.
http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.ca/p/fermented-feed.html this one is a great reference.

Jacque , " mother" as I understand it is the culture that grows in un pasteurized vinegar. Some could explain it better than I.
But I can help you with thie where to find it. Most grocery stores have it. Look for " Braggs" or I found it in "Heinz"
There will be a red oval right on the label that say "with the Mother" , you can't mistake it!
The best part is you only have to buy it once, as you can use that bottle to grow mother in regular ACV. The link above explains it all!!

I would just start calling every grocery store, mill, feed store, pet food store etc. around whatever radius you are willing to drive. It took me awhile to find a decent price and I have to drive an hour to get it so I stock pile.

I just started reading this thread (I have been reading the FF for meat birds thread though.) Yes you can use a lid on your fermented feed, just keep it slightly ajar to let in some air, or poke holes in the lid. My mix is 24% gamebird feed plus 8% scratch grains mixed half and half. I mix in a 5 gallon bucket 1/3 full, add 2 oz ACV with mother (or leftover ferment liquid), and keep adding water until it is easy to mix. Keep stirring and adding water for 2 days if needed. I take any liquid that is floating after 3-4 days, and put it in my new batch which will ferment quicker. Never through away your liquid--it's your starter. Note that I don't add ACV to new batches unless I don't have ferment liquid left over. The chickens seem to like having the whole grains in it, but mine comes out exactly 16% protein. The perfect temperature for fermenting is 70 degrees which takes 3 days. If you use leftovers to start a new batch, it is less time. Fermented feed will freeze solid, so your bucket needs to be indoors in winter (it also ferments better.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom