Fermenting feed for layers?

So glad to see the word "fishmeal" is in this post..
big_smile.png
.I have been wondering what I can find in Louisiana besides soybeans to up my protein %age! I would bet I can find that. I have also read that roasted soybeans are not always thoroughly roasted and that is not healthy for the poultry...anybody gotta comment???
idunno.gif
There are a lot of small-time chicken owners here, but nobody with really firm knowledge on this topic and I want to do the best for my hens

I just started fermenting last week with wheat, barley and layer feed. My flock is ecstatic...
yesss.gif
but I use the chick crumbles for my 12-week girlies...I guess it would be okay to use fishmeal in their fermented feed OR not????
idunno.gif
It makes a really yucky muck to ferment those crumbles. Of course, I only have nine young'uns.

Do you ferment in the winter...wish somebody would address that. Our winters are not very cold, but cold enough to slow fermentation, I would think.
idunno.gif

Since it is difficult for me to take time to read all the threads, I am happy to find this one! Yay for y'all!!
I use fishmeal in my grower feed for young birds and molters. It works fine.

LindaB220,
I am about halfway between DeRidder and Lake Charles (N and S); and then midway between Kinder and Dequincy (E and W)! Right out in the middle of the piney woods/"the Sticks". Lol! Love it out here! We have swap meets once a month in DeRidder and Moss Bluff (Tractor Supply) and I am surprised at the number of folks around here that raise chicks of all varieties. I met a lady who lives near me in Moss Bluff that hatches Lille Fleurs (sp?). A gentleman at Dry Creek near Bundicks Lake has Cuckoo Marans. Some other locals have Black Copper Marans, Easter Eggers, Barred Rocks, and a variety of Wyandottes and bantams...and others I a sure. A man who buys my eggs found out I was wanting a New Hampshire roo and told me this week that he knows a lady that will give me a couple baby roos later this summer...I am sure after she picks hers. Nice folks all around.

My ladies and Roody were just a year old March 24. I have 4 Dominiques, 4 PBRs, 3 EEs, 5 Black SLinks, 6 Prod. Reds, and 8 newbie Gold Comets. Those old enough to lay...lay like crazy! With a Dom roo I guess I will just have mutt chickies, but that's okay since I don't show them...I love watching them hunt and peck in the pastures and feel really blessed to have found this new pleasure. BTW, They are all named and come running when I call 'em.
love.gif
What about yours???

I was stationed in Fort Polk for a few months. I've been to DeRidder.
They had about an inch of wet snow once and all the soldiers from up north had to drive all the civilians home because they were terrified.
Well, I think it is my turn to ask about fermenting. I have never done it before, and really want to start. I have been going crazy reading everything I can. It was a lot and got kind of confusing, but I think I got it all done. Just wanting to make sure I have it, and will be doing it right.

I plan on using a 5 gallon bucket with snap shut lid, leave it propped open, dont shut unless I am shaking. Put in enough feed to last a few days, and cover with water. Stir every couple hours, and make sure there is enough liquid to keep it covered. Wait at least 4 days, it will be bubbly and have a sour smell. Scoop enough for the chickens to eat in a short time frame, feed twice a day. Every time I remove some of the feed, add more to replace, and just maintain water level. I will be fermenting just regular layer feed and maybe add some scratch also. Or just throw the scratch out.

One thing that confused me was when I just start the bucket, I have red that normal tap water it fine, but also that you need to use non-chlorinated water. Which is it? Also, that you should put ACV in it to get it started. Do I keep adding the ACV every time I add water, or just to get it started? Is it a must that I add it? I have also read that you can just leave the lid open and it will naturally do what the ACV does for it, it just might take longer and you run into the chance of mold?

I am just trying to make sure I get this all right the first time around, before I start experimenting with fermenting new foods, or buying whole grains and doing it that way. Sorry for the long post!! But any help will be so greatly appreciated.

I use 5 gallon buckets and just sit the lid on top to keep debris and flying critters out. I used ACV the first few times but no longer. I pour in a small glug of plain Kefir with active live cultures as a starter. It isn't necessary but seems to get a couple day head start over using nothing.

You may also want to read this.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645057/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them

Are you using a plastic trashcan?
can you ferment chick starter? I have two 12 week old buff orpingtons a bit of their feed got wet in the rain the other day and when I put them in the pen, they went for it big time. It had only been there overnight. That is what got me thinking. ???

Hi, Chickencanoe!
Yes, snow is not seen here very often, and folks kinda go bonkers...schools were closed for a "light snow" several days last winter. We have some Dakota property so it's not such a biggie for us any more. We were there after the new year, and experienced a small blizzard with some MINUS14* temps...brrrrrrr! (global warming maybe? ;)That's why we LIVE here....LOL! We may get minus 5 every 20 yrs or so.

Up there they can't understand why people "down South" get so excited about hurricane winds since they get 60mph regularly
ep.gif
And even higher gusts! It's amazing how different the weather conditions are across America. Buildings have to be adapted to their normal environments in each area. It's best to make friends with the locals for numerous reasons, I guess.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the fishmeal for chicks and the link...will read the link now...Have a blessed evening.

My chickens have mites, I read somewhere that fermented feed will help, is this true? I'm already feeding them fodder from barley/field peas, and I was wondering if it would hurt feeding them fermented feed, and fodder. Thanks in advance, also just to clarify, I saw where some people say the vinegar is not necessary, is this true? If it is then I can start my fermented feed today.

My chickens have mites, I read somewhere that fermented feed will help, is this true? I'm already feeding them fodder from barley/field peas, and I was wondering if it would hurt feeding them fermented feed, and fodder. Thanks in advance, also just to clarify, I saw where some people say the vinegar is not necessary, is this true? If it is then I can start my fermented feed today.

Sure it's fine to give them both. Fill a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full (about 12#) and add a couple of gallons of water. Stir and wait a few minutes. May need more water. No ACV needed. It ferments from the air. Stir daily for 4 days. Start feeding. When it gets down to 1-2 feedings left in bottom. Add a gallon of water and stir sludge. Add more water and feed and start over. It ferments overnight. I never wash my bucket. I never add ACV again. I keep it thick oatmeal consistancy but others like to cover with water and strain. Too much work for me. I like it easy. Good luck
frow.gif

Just noticed about the mites. No it won't cure them. Check into that.

Last edited:
How much do you feed them? Mine are 12 weeks. They love what I have given them so far. :)

I feed my 16 7 wk chicks about 5 cups 2 x daily. Adding in a plate of leftovers in place of some of that occasionally. Put out enough that it will be gone by the next feeding. Most will be gone in 20 min. If a lot is left, feed less the next time. Just stir what's left and dump on ground. Add new to trough. They always eat whats on the ground first.
tongue2.gif

I feed my 16 7 wk chicks about 5 cups 2 x daily. Adding in a plate of leftovers in place of some of that occasionally. Put out enough that it will be gone by the next feeding. Most will be gone in 20 min. If a lot is left, feed less the next time. Just stir what's left and dump on ground. Add new to trough. They always eat whats on the ground first.
tongue2.gif
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom