Fertalizing Questions!

BarrettG

Songster
Mar 15, 2015
S.Florida
I have a beautiful pure white arucana and it is now giving green eggs. It is fertalized by a white leghorn. I just borrowed a lavender arucana to breed them. How long until I can incubate the eggs and be sure they will be pure arucana?

Well I just asked a question similar to this, and they said a month. Hope this helps!!!!!

Last edited:
I have a beautiful pure white arucana and it is now giving green eggs. It is fertalized by a white leghorn. I just borrowed a lavender arucana to breed them. How long until I can incubate the eggs and be sure they will be pure arucana?

They won't be pure. You don't have Araucana. American Araucana do not have muffs, ever. Ameraucana do have muffs, but you don't have Ameraucana, either. Your white bird has greenish legs, which indicates yellow skin. Ameraucana have white skin. Lavender is a project color, and your boy has too much gold/lemon leakage. He looks more like he is blue (dominant gene), rather than lavender (recessive).

They would both be considered Easter Eggers.

Last edited:
And for future reference, you can't mix different color varieties of the same breed and still call them purebred. That's not how it works for chickens. Breeds aren't based on pedigree or lineage. It's based on whether or not the individual meets the breed standard, and if bred to another bird that also meets the standard, will produce similar look chicks (breeding ture). When you start crossing different color varieties, they will no longer breed true.

They won't be pure. You don't have Araucana. American Araucana do not have muffs, ever. Ameraucana do have muffs, but you don't have Ameraucana, either. Your white bird has greenish legs, which indicates yellow skin. Ameraucana have white skin. Lavender is a project color, and your boy has too much gold/lemon leakage. He looks more like he is blue (dominant gene), rather than lavender (recessive).

They would both be considered Easter Eggers.

That's interesting. I know it may be difficult but her legs look blue to me. Can she have blue legs but put out green eggs? The bird to the right that is barely in the frame is an Easter egger I was told. So the muffs rule out Arucana right off the bat? That's a buzz kill :-( I'm glad you told me though. I was going to sell the chick's as Arucanas.

how long until her eggs will be only easter Eggers since she was with a leghorn until today?

Wait at least three weeks. And yes, muffs automatically rules out Araucana. Araucana are tufted, which is a completely different, and lethal gene. They are also supposed to be rumpless and have yellow skin. Ameraucana have muffs, beards, white skin, tails, and are only recognized in a handful of colors. Easter Eggers are birds that don't meet the breed standard, but still carry the blue eggshell gene. Most birds that are sold as "Ameraucana" are, in reality, Easter Eggers. Then people breed them and sell the chicks as pure "Ameraucana," never realizing that they never had the real thing to begin with. To add to the confusion, some hatcheries are calling their Easter Eggers, 'Araucana,' even though their birds don't even resemble true Araucana at all.

Back
Top Bottom