Fertilized egg possibility from deceased rooster

In the last part of the mating act, the rooster hops off, his part is done. The hen stands up, fluffs up, and shakes. This fluffy shake gets the sperm in a special contained inside the hen near where the egg starts its journey through her internal egg making factory. That sperm can remain viable and be able to fertilize an egg for about 9 days all the way to over three weeks. There is no set time that the sperm will remain viable, it can vary from hen to hen and rooster to rooster. And this timing is after a successful mating. Not every rooster mates with every hen in his flock every day so I can't give you any guarantees.

I don't know how many hens you have laying or how many chicks you want to hatch. You don't know how many will hatch or how many will be boys or girls. You can store eggs for a week or so with no real loss in viability as long as you don't get them too hot or cold and turn them a few times a day. If you store them perfectly they can go two weeks but I wouldn't go over a week.

In your situation I'd collect all the eggs I wanted that hen to hatch, then start them all under the broody hen at the same time. Do not add any eggs later, you do not want a staggered hatch. Those are too stressful and often not that successful, especially under a broody hen.

I don't know how much experience you have with a broody hen. You have different options about isolating a broody or hatching with the flock. If you want to chat about any of those let us know.

I think you have an excellent chance of most of those eggs being fertile if you start collecting them today and collect for the next few days. Let us know how it goes.
Thank you for the information, I have put 5 eggs under her and I will not be adding more so there should be no confusion. At this time 5 chicks are more than plenty.

Back
Top Bottom