Field trips outside

Apr 18, 2021
Our chicks are 5.5 weeks, and 6.5 weeks old.
They’ve been going outside during the day for about a week, and they seem so happy.
Well yesterday, we had high winds and a temperature drop, so I kept them inside.
Today the wind is calm, and it’s bright and sunny, but it’s only 53°. It’s supposed to get up to 59°.
Is that too cold for them to be out today?
TIA!
Edited to add, they’re in the run when they’re out.

I've has 5-1/2 week old chicks go through nights in the mid 20's Fahrenheit with no supplemental heat. They had been acclimated.

Do yours have a place to go if they want to get out of the wind? Can they go back in the coop? Mine do not like to suffer, they are very good about going where they feel comfortable if they have a place they can go. I would not worry about that temperature at all but I'd want them to have an option to avoid the wind if they want to.

I've has 5-1/2 week old chicks go through nights in the mid 20's Fahrenheit with no supplemental heat. They had been acclimated.

Do yours have a place to go if they want to get out of the wind? Can they go back in the coop? Mine do not like to suffer, they are very good about going where they feel comfortable if they have a place they can go. I would not worry about that temperature at all but I'd want them to have an option to avoid the wind if they want to.
They do have somewhere to go. They had a great day outside, and they're inside for the night.

Back
Top Bottom