Fighting, mating or molting?

Ducketts

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2023
Hey y'all,
First and foremost Merry Christmas!

I just let my flock out and I noticed on my one pekin duck, her feathers are missing in spots one each side of her shoulders. I do see feathers in their coop as well so it is happening inside the coop, which has plenty of space. They all get along well and I haven't seen them fight at all. They do mate a good but and have been for over a month, but this is the first time I've seen missing feathers on both sides in matching fashion. Any thoughts on what this could be. Got her and her sister in I believe in March and her sister doesn't have any issues with this.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. How many drakes are in the flock? Sometimes multiple drakes pick a favorite which can lead to overmating and abuse.

IMG_20231225_123916936.jpg
IMG_20231225_123830550.jpg

It almost looks as if she is molting and pin feathers are coming in. Sometimes while a dominant drake is breeding a hen the subordinates bite at/pull at her feathers.
I thought that may be the case, but being December I didn't think she would be molting, but this in my first year owning ducks so I'm still learning a ton, thank you! I have seen them biting at each other when being mounted but it isn't very common and they don't typically take feathers out and if they do it's only like one or 2. Idk. But I do thank you for your thoughts on this.

I thought that may be the case, but being December I didn't think she would be molting, but this in my first year owning ducks so I'm still learning a ton, thank you! I have seen them biting at each other when being mounted but it isn't very common and they don't typically take feathers out and if they do it's only like one or 2. Idk. But I do thank you for your thoughts on this.
what state are you in , i’m in maryland, and 4 of my ducks are molting right now. plus i think a 5th one started today. they don’t realize how cold it’s gonna get in january !!

you have 2 drakes with only 2 hens? each drake needs his own 3-5 females
I have 2 drakes and 3 hens. I got the 2 boys and one girl from a straight run and didn't know I had any drakes til they aged into their adult plumage. I know a 3-5 to 1 ratio is ideal and if it weren't so late in the year when they matured I would have gotten a couple hens. But since they didn't hit where their coloring was right til late October I didn't have time to raise them to be ready for the cold. I live in pa and the weather has been all over the place too. 56 as the high today and the week before last their pool froze an inch deep every night lol

what state are you in , i’m in maryland, and 4 of my ducks are molting right now. plus i think a 5th one started today. they don’t realize how cold it’s gonna get in january !!
Yeah I was very much concerned that is what was starting, her timing is terrible if that's the case. But I didn't get her a calendar for Christmas so I guess I only have myself to blame.

Back
Top Bottom