fighting raccoons

Like Mary said below, I don't think you'd want to use anything bigger. I have an old single shot rifle - super simple, takes one bullet in the top chamber, no cartridges or anything fancy. I'm actually a terrible shot (we have other guns for use at the local range), but again, as Mary said, the .22 fits right into the trap mesh and you can get a direct (and humane) shot to the head pretty easily. There's no way I'd be able to hit a moving target!

Yeah, I had it covered before moving it - the problem was that I couldn't figure out how to get the door to stay propped open so it could exit without my standing there holding it up with a long stick. Pfffft. I've never actually shot a skunk - do you happen to know if they spray when they get hit? (like an auto reaction?) I'd guess yes?

As far as the new & improved predator-proofing, so far so good!!.. all girls safe, and I didn't see/hear anything creeping around last night. Debating whether to set the trap again tonight - it still stinks pretty bad, so I may just wait another couple days. I've also been taking in all the food dishes before putting them to bed.
Thank you al for the responses and information. It is very useful.

Hypodermic needle....a solution of KCl does the job just fine, no pain, no suffering, and most importantly No Spraying.
This is super interesting to me. Do you just buy powder and make a solution? How strong? How do you rig it to depress the plunger if you're using a pole? And do you have to bury it after? (ie, does the KCl stay in the system & make the carcass toxic to other carnivores, or can you just dump it in the woods somewhere?) Thanks! ...if this is too far off-thread, feel free to PM me...

Last edited:
This is super interesting to me. Do you just buy powder and make a solution? How strong? How do you rig it to depress the plunger if you're using a pole? And do you have to bury it after? (ie, does the KCl stay in the system & make the carcass toxic to other carnivores, or can you just dump it in the woods somewhere?) Thanks!  ...if this is too far off-thread, feel free to PM me...

These are carried by Trapping Supply Stores.

KCl is Potassium Chloride salt...low sodium table salt replacements are essentially KCl, I just get it at the store.

I position myself so that I have a clear view of the ribcage, and I stick the needle into the body behind the front leg. Inject the solution and come back after about 3 - 4 minutes or so. The KCl in the blood stream interferes with the heart beat and causes cardiac arrest.

I've never had a skunk spray using this method, it works for all catches...not just skunks.

Last edited:
These are carried by Trapping Supply Stores.

KCl is Potassium Chloride salt...low sodium table salt replacements are essentially KCl, I just get it at the store.

I position myself so that I have a clear view of the ribcage, and I stick the needle into the body behind the front leg. Inject the solution and come back after about 3 - 4 minutes or so. The KCl in the blood stream interferes with the heart beat and causes cardiac arrest.

I've never had a skunk spray using this method, it works for all catches...not just skunks.
Where do you actually get the needles? I didn't think they sold those over the counter.

I got a jab stick and 2 syringes...I don't even remember the cost, but it wasn't over $20.00 - $25.00. The jab stick is an 8 ft aluminum pole, the syringe fits down inside.

The needles are heavy duty, I'm very careful so I've never had to use the back up syringe.

Google trapping supply companies....I even wonder if you have a local farm & ranch store with a veterinary supply section, if couldn't just get syringes there and rig a jab stick on your own for less money.

Last edited:
I know you can get syringes from Tractor Supply. I’m pretty sure you can get needles.

I just went to their website. I did not see a jab stick but you can get syringes and needles. If you Google “jab stick” you get some pretty good hits.

Back
Top Bottom