Finally bought a small homestead

2GenHomesteadChicks

In the Brooder
May 17, 2024
Okay, it's only a house, a cottage, a garage that may need torn down and a fairly wooded 4.75 acres inside the city limits of a small town.
We can have 1 livestock per acre. No ordinances against chickens OR roosters (yay!), rabbits, dogs etc.
My mom (71) and me (50) are moving across country from Columbus, Ohio to southwestern Arkansas on May 29th 2024.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I have never owned chickens. It will still be some time before we will buy any.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
None

(3) What breeds do you have?

Looking at maybe a leghorn cross for both our layers and our meat birds

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

wanting to be more self sufficient as we eat mostly chicken (I eat some pork and we both eat turkey as well but NO BEEF!)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Sewing, crafting, soon spinning wool, designing stuff, building anything from furniture to remodeling.
I also have have a 3d printer I bought at the end of last year but have not finished setting it up

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
It's just me and my mom, neither one of us has ever been married (Happily single!), and my dog Sadie (supermutt extraordinaire; Rat Terrier, Chow, Pit, German Shepherd, Eskimo, with traces of Cocker Spaniel and poodle). She looks like a large brown Chihuahua (24.5 pounds) and has a major prey drive.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I can't even remember how long at least 4-5 years that I've known about BYC. We have been looking for a property for at least 3 years so while I've come here to read info about chicken I never joined since it wasn't like I could do anything yet.
My mom owned a condo in Ohio (sold it in 2 days!) and has lived here for a long time. I moved around a lot; lived in 11 states and been to all but a few.
We have wanted a farm nearly our whole lives....
It's finally happening

Back
Top Bottom