finally converting dog kennel to chicken coop w pics need advise

coming from someone that did not do his research until after I built my coops and already had the chickens for 3 months. Do what you feel like doing.

this is a ZONING issue not a law issue. if you got caught most times they just give you a cease and desist letter pretty much making you get rid of them. I am not a cop and not a lawyer. but last year when my house was robbed the cops came by and afterwards checked out my chickens. I thought I was in for it when they told me flat out "it is a zoning issue not theirs and they dont care" I was expecting a letter nothing happened at all.

I am not saying do it just letting you know the difference in a Zoning issue and a criminal act.. having chickens is a zoning issue ONLY

where are you putting their feeder & waterer? Does it go to an outdoor kennel or is it just to the yard? Make sure to post after pictures....I am intrigured!
This just got me thinking, wouldn't they also need to put up a window for light and air circulation?
I mean, it looks like it would work with some tweaks. They said the former owners used this for a dog house?
Kinda makes me sad for the dog when I looked back at this post just now. I crate my own dogs, but not in a wooden box with no view.

Anyhow, OP, I'm sure you can make this work for chickens. I would just find a window off craigslist or something and put in on the side that would get the most light.
smile.png

This just got me thinking, wouldn't they also need to put up a window for light and air circulation?
I mean, it looks like it would work with some tweaks. They said the former owners used this for a dog house?
Kinda makes me sad for the dog when I looked back at this post just now. I crate my own dogs, but not in a wooden box with no view.

Anyhow, OP, I'm sure you can make this work for chickens. I would just find a window off craigslist or something and put in on the side that would get the most light.
smile.png
Dog houses are only for shelter not to be kept in. Our dog's house is outside and it has no window. The purpose is to allow them to stay dry & warm and then come & go as they see fit. That is why, I assume, there is a kennel or fenced in yard attached/behind the house. I don't think a window would be necessary unless you plan to confine them to the area. A Window is nice but will look ridiculous along the foundation of the OP's house. I also would not vent it on the garage side as when you are warming up your car etc...you will have to worry about carbon monoxide more.

Dog houses are only for shelter not to be kept in. Our dog's house is outside and it has no window. The purpose is to allow them to stay dry & warm and then come & go as they see fit. That is why, I assume, there is a kennel or fenced in yard attached/behind the house. I don't think a window would be necessary unless you plan to confine them to the area. A Window is nice but will look ridiculous along the foundation of the OP's house. I also would not vent it on the garage side as when you are warming up your car etc...you will have to worry about carbon monoxide more.
So long as the dog had the ability to go outside when it wanted, I guess this is an okay set up. My dogs are inside dogs, so outdoor dog houses are unfamiliar to me.
idunno.gif

Also, I had not thought of the carbon monoxide aspect of keeping this in the garage.
It seems like a delicate balance of giving the birds the light and fresh air they require.
Perhaps OP could drill a few holes near the door and cover them with a fancy vent cover or something?

I had not thought of CO2 until that moment. Or possibly just make the door out of wire mesh instead of being solid so they can lock the birds from predators at night but they would still get air. If there is a predator proof run attached than I guess it would solve a couple of issues.

Back
Top Bottom