Finding chicks sleeping outside

foreverdavis

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
The past two nights we have been late coming home (because of fireworks) and when we went to go shut the coop door we found all the babies outside in a heap sleeping. I'm guessing it is too dark in the coop? When I'm home, I turn on the lamp for them in the coop around dusk and they go in and go to bed. Guess I will have to put the lamp on a timer--if that's even possible.

Angie

I think they got used to sleeping with the light on...kind of like me when I was a little kid. Try to get them used to the dark when they sleep. I start turning off the light for my chicks when they are around 3 weeks old (I get enough chicks to keep each other warm) and I keep them away from a drafty place. Of course they usually stay in my room or inside the house, so it is warmer anyway. The light goes off for a few hours everyday until they start getting used to it. By the time they are five weeks old, no more light and they sleep better with it off! Good luck!

Quote:
Chickens do not see well in the dark so that is probably why they won't go in when you are gone. My gals wouldn't go in their coop at night and when we put a "night light" in it, problem solved.

We now have a timer on our light in the coop, but sometimes some of the girls hang outside after curfew and the light goes out. I bought a solar path light at Walmart ($1.50) and put it in the coop for the "party girls". Seems to have worked so they can see their way in. It is pretty dim but just enough light for them to see their way in and on the roost. We have the timer come on at about 7:45 pm and go off at 8:15pm.

Back
Top Bottom