Finished our first batch of Cornish...What I learned

jackiedon

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2007
Central Arkansas
We finished up the rest of the cornish X and these are the things I have learned.

1. I will do it again

2. They taste great

3. Fix the tractor somehow so it's easier to move instead of taking 4 of us.

4. Have 2 feeders instead one just one

5. Order my chicks in Sept instead of Oct.

6. Scalding Cornish X doesn't smell as bad as Polish Chickens

7. Try to learn how in the world to get all those pin feathers off, I tried scalding, brushes, gloves and still had them.

8. By the 20th chicken I can do the deed myself while DH guts them

9. Need to learn more chicken recipes!

Thanks everyone for helping me through all this, I really appreciate it.

jackie

thumbsup.gif
clap.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif

WTG!
Christina
(who is looking forward to hers coming in March!)

Good job!

I learned alot of the same things as well... in fact, I still have a batch that I need to make an appointment at the processor for.

One thing I did learn with my meat birds this year is that I will continue the purchase the cornish x from Mcmurray (they grow BIG and FAST) and I will probably not purchase the meat birds that I got from Towne Line Hatchery... I've had them about 12 weeks now and they're still nowhere near what my mcmurray birds were...

My wife is a County and State Fair prize winning cook , baker, and food preserver. She learned to do these at her mother's side. Among her tons of cook books are these: You can get the real recipes that are used by the name restaurants. "A Treasury of TOP Secret Recipes" by Todd Wilbur. "Top Secret Recipes Treasury II " by Todd Wilbur Includes recipes from Top sectret recipes Lite, Low-Fat top secret recipes, and Top secret recipes for Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits, and Shakes. Enjoy !!!

Quote:
My last batch was from Towne Line and I thought they were great- did you have any other problems with them? It must depend on the batch of birds and luck- I found my Towne Line birds to be good sized, and I had a lot more birds die early in my McMurray batch.

Back
Top Bottom