Finished the New Chicken House! Thoughts and Ramblings on Things That Need Input...

Thank you @Nardo! The trees there are deciduous but I plan on planting a few more coniferous types as well as some fruiting types, maybe some grapes along one of the fences to give them foraging opportunities. It is really pretty out there I think. But so wet! There are little crayfish holes everywhere. And every time the yard almost dries out it starts raining again. I'm tired of wet dogs and mopping the floor. lol And with it being 30 degrees this morning and drizzling, I'm not looking forward to trying to build their pen this weekend.

Thank you @Nardo! The trees there are deciduous but I plan on planting a few more coniferous types as well as some fruiting types, maybe some grapes along one of the fences to give them foraging opportunities. It is really pretty out there I think. But so wet! There are little crayfish holes everywhere. And every time the yard almost dries out it starts raining again. I'm tired of wet dogs and mopping the floor. lol And with it being 30 degrees this morning and drizzling, I'm not looking forward to trying to build their pen this weekend.
I feel you. We have four dogs and it gets nuts with wiping all the paws off. I also have to fight to keep the run semi-dry sometimes. I didn't notice how you decided to handle the bottom of your coop? Snakes are really hard to build against; they can get into the tiniest hole. My biggest worries are opossums and hawks. The coyotes, bobcats and neighborhood strays stay away because of the dogs and I make it pretty hard to get to the coop itself. I have a barn cat named Marvin who keeps the rodent population almost nil.

The yard finally dried out enough to move the chicken house out of the garage and around the fenced in backyard to it's resting place yesterday after work. I'm planning on putting the fence up this weekend. Eyeballing the dimensions of the pen, it should be about 25' x 50'. Plenty large enough for a nice flock of fluffy Orpington butts. I've got the roost poles and a wide ramp "installed" for them to walk up. Feeder is hung as well as nest boxes. I still need to pick up some hay to stuff the boxes with, and some bags of sand to pour in the house to help it not become a mud hole. I'm looking into pricing truckloads of sand to have it brought in and poured into their yard where is can spread it to help with drainage.

Taking the dogs out this morning I saw a bobcat along the far back fence line of the property. It was moving quickly but rather unmistakable. It certainly took me by surprise. It's raining again today but I cannot wait for the field behind the house to dry out enough that it can be properly mowed. I find wild animals are generally much more reluctant to cross large open spaces when there isn't cover to hide in. In the meantime I'm looking into how to prevent a bobcat from enjoying my birds for a dinner. I've never had to deal with big land-based predators like that as I grew up with dogs outdoors.

I have always used hay without any molding issues. I generally put pine shavings in the bottom of the box as well. I am wondering if I want to leave these on the floor or mount them up about a foot off the ground. They are big birds and really not very sure of their footing. Currently she has spurned everything I've offered for her to use at my friend's and continues to lay eggs all over their pen.

When you get them back shut them in for a week teach them where home is and do not real surprised if they quit laying take them a bit to adjust to change

Sorry I have to ask... you’re in Texas? I thought that was supposed to be a barren desert full of oil fields? Just like how I’m in Canada so it must be a frozen wasteland ;) Your chicken house looks great, I’m sure your girls will enjoy it! Those are pretty big feeders and waterers for just two chickens... do I sense some chicken math happening in the future? :rolleyes:

Sorry I have to ask... you’re in Texas? I thought that was supposed to be a barren desert full of oil fields? Just like how I’m in Canada so it must be a frozen wasteland ;) Your chicken house looks great, I’m sure your girls will enjoy it! Those are pretty big feeders and waterers for just two chickens... do I sense some chicken math happening in the future? :rolleyes:
:gigYes, all of Canada is the exact same. LOL. Texas is huge with ocean front beaches in the South, Piney green woodlands in the East, High Desert and Mountains in the West, and Prairies and Plains in the middle. It's really green where he is in Commerce.
I visited Montreal once and it is gorgeous but I've not been elsewhere in Canada.

:gigYes, all of Canada is the exact same. LOL. Texas is huge with ocean front beaches in the South, Piney green woodlands in the East, High Desert and Mountains in the West, and Prairies and Plains in the middle. It's really green where he is in Commerce.
I visited Montreal once and it is gorgeous but I've not been elsewhere in Canada.

I was being facetious... promise! Just the descriptions of the sucking mud and moats around the barns... not the first thing that jumps to, I’m assuming, most people’s minds when you say “Texas”... but it kind of reminds me of our West Coast Island Mud Pit, I mean, “paradise”. I literally had to help pull my husband out of calf deep mud last week near one of our barns, he sank in so deep, very thankfull for high boots! (Suppose he could’ve stepped out of his boots... but so not a good idea around there!) So, I really do feel for the OP!

Back
Top Bottom