Finisher feed or layer feed???

JSossong

Songster
7 Years
Mar 8, 2014
Western PA
I have 2 different ages of hens together in the same coop. The first batch just started laying about a month ago and the second batch should begin laying here in about a month- should I continue feeding them all grower/finisher feed or should I switch to layer feed?

I also have been giving them oyster shell- for the ones already laying.

Thoughts???
Thanks!
:)

I would continue feeding them grower feed until they are all at least 18 weeks old (regardless of whether they are laying at that time or not). Continue providing the oyster shell for your older hens.

I have the same mix of younger /older. I also have a cockerel. Should I continue to feed grower so the roo doesn't get the extra calcium and offer oyster for the rest?

There is really no need to switch to a Layer feed, just provide a good Grower type feed that is at least 18% protein and offer oyster shells on the side. Also it is never good to feed a high calcium Layer type feed to any non-laying fowl (chicks, growing stock, roosters, non-laying hen do to age, health, molt, season, etc.)
If you have a mixed flock containing young and old birds or your flock contains a rooster your better off feeding a Grower feed that is at least 18% protein and offer oyster shells on the side.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom