fire ants

Will be trying the dawn method, and we are moving the coop soon. Have to take care of the see able mounds in the area we are moving the coup too first.

Last edited by a moderator:
As stupid as this sounds, I use the instant grits, in the 4 lb bag. I am in Midlands SC, but fire ants are still fire ants. Also, if my flock eats the dried grits, it won't affect them like eating an ant poison would.

We have a good idea where the mound is so will be getting the insta grits tomorrow. My other half is grumbling now about "see this is why I dont eat thebinstant ones but at least there is a good use for them" lol thank you for the tip

Hi again,
I bet all of these solutions will kill them on the surface, but they won't get them all the way. Fires ant mounds are at least 1 foot deep, and if you attack them from the surface, the majority of the ants will retreat to the bottom of the mound, then tunnel to somewhere safe, and your problem starts all over again. Like bees, ants reproduce through the queen, so ants put her in the most fortified part of the mound, the bottom. The trick to fire ants is the queen, if you kill the queen, you kill the mound. The problem with this grits trick, is that it isn't liquid enough to seep down into the mound, it will just sit on top and roast the surface layer, which is unimportant. All the ants will just stay down low and wait until the grits cool, then they will rebuild their mound and use the cold grits as a food. then your problem is worse because your feeding them.

I would suggest the Dawn solution, or gasoline ( I prefer a gasoline, but I have had some squabbles over the matter with other members, so I will say no more about it)

Grits are an odd choice for pest control, but it does work. I just re-apply as needed. And it is flock friendly. I don't have any mounds right now, but being in South Carolina, it is a constant battle.

Quote: No, gas comes from refineries. The crude oil it is made from comes from the ground. And it is fine so long as it stays the hundreds of feet below the ground. On the surface, not so much (just ask Exxon or BP). Both are toxic to animals and neither can be made non-toxic. As for pouring it in the ground near or in the coop, I wouldn't. Use a killer or better yet a repellent that is tested and certified as safe around pets and livestock.

Back
Top Bottom