First 2 pips!!! And now, 1st peep! Updated....

SkeeredChicken

Songster
12 Years
Feb 27, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Just saw my 1st 2 pips in my incubator. I couldn't resist the urge to open it and see if anything happened. That's when I snapped this photo on my phone:

03-08-07_1405.jpg

Last edited:
Hip Hip Hooray! That is great and take in from someone who agonizes over the last two days, the hard part is yet to come. Good Luck with your hatch.

And now, announcing.... My 1st peep ever, as seen through my bator window!!! Claimed that egg as a throphy
jumpy.gif

03-09-07_0151.jpg

Yes, Dipsy, those were Button Quail eggs. Sad thing is that I believe those eggs are dead. I accidentally had the bator they were in unplugged (not sure how long, but the eggs were cold). Not to mention the Hovabator had trouble getting up to temp on 2 cold nights. I'm thinking it was either too cold or the fan I recycled from an old computer not being installed right (either because I didnt use all the bolt holes or needed to close some more). In either case, I may order more eggs before Sunday.

Last edited:
As an update to the Button Quails
sad.png
, I guess, they're alive after all. I pulled one out out of curiousity and opened it up. To my dismay, there was a living chick in there. So if anyone actually reads this, and you're in doubt as to whether or not your eggs are growing....Leave them in the bator until there's no chance they're alive.
hmm.png

Great job on your hatch...hope the chicks keep coming for you.
jumpy.gif

And excellent advice on opening an egg. If you really, really have doubts and want to see, you can candle...or if that doesn't help, only chip a tiny piece of shell from the air (top of the egg) sac. This way if there is a live one in there, you can place a piece of scotch tape on the hole and put it back. Been there, done that. It is very sad to open one by cracking the entire egg and seeing a little life still trying to thrive in there.

Hang in there..you're doing fine.

Jody

So far, only 1 quail has hatched. Boy that thing is looking lonely. He's trying to sit under the chicks for warmth, but they dont always play that way. Wonder if they see him as more of an annoyance.

Back
Top Bottom