ChooksChick

BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist
15 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Larry, KS
My Coop
My Coop
Welcome!

Many of you will be familiar with other hatchalongs or will have even participated. This year, as hundreds of us in Mahonri's 4th Annual Easter Hatchalong have chatted, many of us expressed a desire to hatch Turkeys. This will be my first time! It takes a month to hatch a Turkey, so it's a bit more of a marathon than chicks...thus, it's the First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon!

Please join us if you are hatching anything, but in particular, Turkeys!

Our set day will be Easter, for a Cinco de Mayo hatch. This is perfect for growing out for Thanksgiving, if so inclined, and will be in perfect season for abundant eggs from BYC and local Turkey breeders.

So, you have roughly 3 weeks to get an incubator ready, acquire eggs, and sweet talk your spouse before we set!

PM me if you want to join in as there are sure to be a few contests and prizes, and we can keep a tally of the number of participants!

If you HAVE Turkeys and wish to offer eggs up to participants without, please do!

First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon Participants

AK Michelle
HortonFarms
dsqard
debs_flock
mlmddh
JessShan8
Wisher1000
Zookeeper15133
HortonFarms
SuperChemicalGirl
CrazyPetLady
Thebirdguy
EnnisLakeFarm
grasspack
Noncentzter
Wyogirl
Karimw
NotAFarm
Wolftracks
Arielle
Gryeyes
XchickieX
cmfarm

craz e laid e
c
oz74
MrHeinz77
HappyAcresKY
yinepu
Iwarfield
WVstruttin
Pele
chick-among-us
dinahmoe

Welcome Turkey Lurkers

viejo loco

Last edited:
I'm in and if we are lucky, I may even have some eggs to sell. I have mostly Black Spanish so those are the ones I might have extras of. PM me if you are interested..

Just a suggestion based on my experience... I would plan on setting some chicken eggs exactly one week after you set your turkey eggs so that they will hatch at the same time.. I have had the best success raising poults when they were raised together with chicks from day 1. Besides, it's the perfect excuse to hatch a few more chicks!!! But Dear, we want the turkeys to do well don't we????
gig.gif

I'm in and if we are lucky, I may even have some eggs to sell. I have mostly Black Spanish so those are the ones I might have extras of. PM me if you are interested..

Just a suggestion based on my experience... I would plan on setting some chicken eggs exactly one week after you set your turkey eggs so that they will hatch at the same time.. I have had the best success raising poults when they were raised together with chicks from day 1. Besides, it's the perfect excuse to hatch a few more chicks!!! But Dear, we want the turkeys to do well don't we????
gig.gif
Not that most of us need any encouragement...

If I can find some eggs I will be in. It will give me like 1 day to ready the incubator. This is not an official "I'm in" but rather "I'm looking".

Added a few more names- make sure you get your eggs squared away, and if you have eggs to offer, please post and let us know! Pics are always good.

I can't join but I'll follow along..
I am a little ahead of you, here's what I have... I set 15 Midget white turkey eggs on March 11th, I just candled tonight day 16, and all are nice & solid with a good air cell, one is clear. So if all goes has planned April 6 thru 8th is my hatching window. I am using for the 1st time a Brinsea Oct20 with auto turner, and have been keeping my humdity in the 30 - 40% range only adding small amounts of water to keep it there..so sort of a dry incubation. Will post pictures once the midgets
start hatching !!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom