First attempt to hatch shipped eggs

Oldhenhens

Songster
Jan 18, 2021
Central Missouri
Hi everybody! I’ve had two attempts at incubating eggs. First time was not good. Cheap incubator and got 3 out of 28. Lesson learned!
I upgraded my equipment to a Brinsea Ovation 28 and I got 23 eggs hatch out of 28!!!! I had only one loss at one week. All the rest (22) are going strong and feathered out beautifully. Just a few more weeks and will meat them flock.
Here is my question….do I need to do anything differently when hatching shipped eggs?
I have been wanting to add some white egg layers to my fixed flock. Instead of buying chicks I thought I’d try hatching white leghorn eggs. The ship date is supposed to be February 4. I’m not sure how long before they arrive. I’m in Missouri and they are coming from Cackle Hatchery also in Missouri about an hour and a half drive from me.
I plan to fire up the incubator 3 or so days before to make sure it is ready for the eggs. Should I just put the eggs right in or do they require a time to settle after shipping? I know I’ve read shipped eggs have a lower hatch rate so I want to do as much as I can to ensure success!
Thank you.

Know shipped eggs are a gamble.

First when the eggs arrive set them pointy end down for 24 to 72 hours. Now the time frame is there to let the air cells settle. I candle the eggs on arrival. Noting and wonky or saddled air sacs. Then again at 24 hours. If all looks good at 24 hours I put them in the incubator. If I see issues I let them sit for another 24 to 48 hours.

I do not use the turned for the first 7 days of incubation. I candle again on day 7 and see which eggs have developed. After removing any duds I turn the turner on and continue as normal with hatching.

Getting anything over 30% is a good hatch. 50 to 75% is great and above 75% is absolutely amazing on shipped eggs.

I hatch shipped eggs all the time. And I will tell you the PO handling takes a toll on the eggs.

You should let them set for a day before you put them in. I haven't had much luck myself but did manage to hatch 1 out of 7 last go around when I did that...better than nothing lol. The less distance/time in transit probably helps a little too.

I know I’ve read shipped eggs have a lower hatch rate
I just wanted to comment on hatch rate. I've only hatched shipped eggs three times. I've had 100%, 20% and 33% hatch rates. The average hatch rate is not good but you never know what that specific hatch will be. Yes, one 100% hatch. You don't have any control over what happens before the eggs are shipped or during shipment. I wish you luck.

Know shipped eggs are a gamble.

First when the eggs arrive set them pointy end down for 24 to 72 hours. Now the time frame is there to let the air cells settle. I candle the eggs on arrival. Noting and wonky or saddled air sacs. Then again at 24 hours. If all looks good at 24 hours I put them in the incubator. If I see issues I let them sit for another 24 to 48 hours.

I do not use the turned for the first 7 days of incubation. I candle again on day 7 and see which eggs have developed. After removing any duds I turn the turner on and continue as normal with hatching.

Getting anything over 30% is a good hatch. 50 to 75% is great and above 75% is absolutely amazing on shipped eggs.

I hatch shipped eggs all the time. And I will tell you the PO handling takes a toll on the eggs.
Yes I know what I’m in for as far as the low hatch rates on shipped eggs. I can later order the day old chicks but I wanted to try to hatch some.
I thought I remembered reading to let shipped eggs set but now it makes sense why.
Another question I forgot to ask is placement in my incubator. It holds 28 but I only bought a dozen. Can the eggs be placed on the side to spread them out on all trays or should I try keeping them upright point down. I don’t think they will fill two cradles to stay upright. Sorry I am probably thinking too much into it. My last hatch I had to lay some on their side because they were too small to stay upright but they hatched surprisingly.

Yes I know what I’m in for as far as the low hatch rates on shipped eggs. I can later order the day old chicks but I wanted to try to hatch some.
I thought I remembered reading to let shipped eggs set but now it makes sense why.
Another question I forgot to ask is placement in my incubator. It holds 28 but I only bought a dozen. Can the eggs be placed on the side to spread them out on all trays or should I try keeping them upright point down. I don’t think they will fill two cradles to stay upright. Sorry I am probably thinking too much into it. My last hatch I had to lay some on their side because they were too small to stay upright but they hatched surprisingly.
I keep mine upright in the cabinet incubator for the first 7 days. After that, I turn on the turner. When I have the styrofoam incubator I had them in an egg carton for the first 7 days and then turned them by hand until lockdown.

No need to fire up incubator 3 days before. Once you have eggs let them rest 24 hours pointy down. After that place in incubator but don’t turn on turner for another 24 hours after that turn on turner and let it ride. Good luck!!
Sorry so after they rest point down and they are places in the incubator can they be placed laying on their sides if they don’t fill up the cradel(s) to stay upright?

I am on day 18 just went into lockdown on my Shipped hatching eggs. Out of 30 shipped and late arrival I have 19 viable in lockdown. (I only paid for 24). So not real upset with the odds so far. Let them rest upon arrival for 24 hours and then place incubator. With the shipping mishap and them not arriving for 8 days we rolled the dice and only let them sit 12 hours. On day 16 we took the egg turner out and left them in the incubator pointy end down so any detached air cells could settle in better. Now we are on lockdown and will update you Monday with hopefully great news on 19 new babies.

Forgot to add they are in lockdown pointy end down. My roommate 3D printed some egg holder trays so we could leave them pointy end down as they hatch.

Last edited:
I am on day 18 just went into lockdown on my Shipped hatching eggs. Out of 30 shipped and late arrival I have 19 viable in lockdown. (I only paid for 24). So not real upset with the odds so far. Let them rest upon arrival for 24 hours and then place incubator. With the shipping mishap and them not arriving for 8 days we rolled the dice and only let them sit 12 hours. On day 16 we took the egg turner out and left them in the incubator pointy end down so any detached air cells could settle in better. Now we are on lockdown and will update you Monday with hopefully great news on 19 new babies.

Forgot to add they are in lockdown pointy end down. My roommate 3D printed some egg holder trays so we could leave them pointy end down as they hatch.
I’d love to know!!! Fingers crossed!
Also, do you have a picture of the egg holders? That’s so awesome!

Back
Top Bottom