First Baby Chicks Arriving the 5th

pennamechris

Chirping
Jan 27, 2023
My first baby chicks are being shipped the 5th. So excited and so nervous. I'm constantly reading up on stuff, hoping I don't make any mistakes.

Wish me luck, and especially the 6 RIRs that will be arriving at their new home in just a few days. Any last minute advice?

Thanks,
-Chris

That's exactly what my first flock was 20years ago :) My advice always is to not follow guidelines of excessive heat. I promise you will never deal with pasty butt if you just turn the heat down. *100 is excessive and to me smells like I'm literally cooking chicken, yuk. I provide a balmy *85 under a hut and *70 ambient the first day or 2. Then *80 and *70, etc. I've never had a case of pasty butt in close to 100 chicks. I use Nutri Drench the first day. Dip thier beaks in Nutri Drench water, then probiotics water for a few days, then fresh clean water raised up on pieces of 2x6 so that whatever I'm using on brooder floor, it stays clean. I offer chick starter crumle both dry and with a little water mixed in for a mash, they typically prefer the mash. You're right, you've got all the info. you need via this place. I had a book before I found this place and made a ton of mistakes..... ENJOY! It's fun!

Back
Top Bottom