First baby goat of the year

alwaystj9

Small goats & big chickens + 1 old horse
Aug 20, 2019
SE Louisiana
Ice baby girl.JPG

Born today, mama's a first freshener, plus this is the first kid from my new buck. She weighs a whopping 3 1/2 lbs. and is the size of a house cat.

Thank you so much for posting photos! In my world, there are few things more precious and overwhelmingly cute than a baby goat!

In fact, a tiny kid that needed a home is the real reason I bought an acreage. He couldn't live in my town, and I didn't want to live without him.

Congratulations to you and the goat family!

View attachment 3411000
Born today, mama's a first freshener, plus this is the first kid from my new buck. She weighs a whopping 3 1/2 lbs. and is the size of a house cat.
How exciting! My goat is also pregnant for the firt time. Im guesstimating she is due some time in March and I am so nervouse. I am curious to know if you got her the CDT vaccine. It's supposed to be given about a month before birth but since I'm not 100% sure on when they conveived, I dont know when to give it. Would the kid be okay without it... 🤔 How was your experience with labor...

My goats all get their CDT's in Feb., I don't give boosters for pregnancy. I do give all the preggos BoSe SQ & Copper boluses in their final month as I am constantly dealing with poor selenium & copper availability where I live. THis year my timing has been a bit off as Earnest, my young new buck, was a slow starter and didn't figure out the mechanics of reproduction until 2 months later than I expected. Plus he was in love with one of the dogs and wasted a lot of time chasing the dog.
As for the CDT, I would give the first shot when she starts to develop an udder, that's usually about a month from delivery. The strongest antibodies are from when the mom is vaccinated 3-4 weeks before giving birth which coincides pretty well with bagging up.
My little doe, Ice, had no issues at all. I saw her acting like she was starting, I put her in a grassy small pen and gave her a bit of feed and a treat (wheat bread). I went to work nearby in the garden and she laid down and popped out the baby perfectly.
Her family has strong bonding mommas and she hovers over baby and is doing a great job.
Sending you a pm...

Back
Top Bottom