first baby guineas

Bug n Flock

Songster
Jun 13, 2015
We ordered 6 guinea keets from cackle waaaayyy back in December. Our order finally arrived yesterday!! They sent us 7 keets instead of 6. ^^

We have them in a brooder along with either a blue slate or royal palm poult they also sent. Feeding 28% gamebird starter. Is this appropriate for guineas? Or should we try to find something else? We are under a flash flood watch until Monday, so that would be the soonest we could get out for something else(creek and low water bridge are between our farm and literally everything else).

Any other tips? They are such cuties! Should we handle them or are they too delicate for that? I admit we have never had guineas(well, we were given a pair of adult guineas a couple of days ago) or guinea babies before. My aunt has guineas in her flock though, so we know we like them as adults.

Sorry I cannot answer your bird question but I just want you to know I wish you all safety regarding the floodwaters situation. We also live above a low water bridge and have been cut off from "everything else," on occasion but not for long periods of time. Please be safe and know that God is with you. :hugs

We ordered 6 guinea keets from cackle waaaayyy back in December. Our order finally arrived yesterday!! They sent us 7 keets instead of 6. ^^

We have them in a brooder along with either a blue slate or royal palm poult they also sent. Feeding 28% gamebird starter. Is this appropriate for guineas? Or should we try to find something else? We are under a flash flood watch until Monday, so that would be the soonest we could get out for something else(creek and low water bridge are between our farm and literally everything else).

Any other tips? They are such cuties! Should we handle them or are they too delicate for that? I admit we have never had guineas(well, we were given a pair of adult guineas a couple of days ago) or guinea babies before. My aunt has guineas in her flock though, so we know we like them as adults.
High protein gamebird starter is the proper feed for guinea keets and turkey poults.

Read the thread Raising Guinea Fowl 101 and pay particular attention to posts made by @PeepsCA .

The keets have an instinctive fear of anything approaching from above. If possible make any approaches to them from their level. You can put your hand in the brooder at their level and allow them to approach you rather than reaching in and grabbing them. You can hold some feed in your hand. Once they become accustomed to you they will eat from your hand. When handling guinea keets or even adults, be very careful with their legs as their legs are very fragile.

If you got a Blue Slate poult it will be gray with white around the face area. If the poult is a Royal Palm it will be a light yellow.

Back
Top Bottom