First Baby is Here, what do I do now?

lilearthquake

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 26, 2014
Burlington, North Carolina
Brand new Pekin/Blue Swed mix in the coop this morning! Nature-made, I had nothing to do with it. This is completely different from the way I got the first ducklings so any advice on how to go forward is welcome and needed.

Typically, my ducks free range on big lake all day and come back to coop in the evening. I have a big run I can keep them in instead of letting them out to the lake. I also have 2 drake Swedish Blues and 1 big drake Pekin that is away, staying with a friend because he was very aggressive. He is supposed to come back home next week. Probably not good timing.

Do I keep males in separate coop room? When can males mingle with ducklings?
Do I take the ducklings away or let nature take its course? These mommas seem to be very protective and doing a great job.

People kept telling me that Pekins don't like to sit on nests and that it has been 'bred out of them'. Well, I have 2 Pekins that seem to remember.

Brand new Pekin/Blue Swed mix in the coop this morning! Nature-made, I had nothing to do with it. This is completely different from the way I got the first ducklings so any advice on how to go forward is welcome and needed.

Typically, my ducks free range on big lake all day and come back to coop in the evening. I have a big run I can keep them in instead of letting them out to the lake. I also have 2 drake Swedish Blues and 1 big drake Pekin that is away, staying with a friend because he was very aggressive. He is supposed to come back home next week. Probably not good timing.

Do I keep males in separate coop room? When can males mingle with ducklings?
Do I take the ducklings away or let nature take its course? These mommas seem to be very protective and doing a great job.

People kept telling me that Pekins don't like to sit on nests and that it has been 'bred out of them'. Well, I have 2 Pekins that seem to remember.
Thanks Lightchick I think so too. I'm very interested in knowledge from those who have been in this situation before. I've raised ducklings on my own before. But this is the first time I will be assisting a Momma duck raise her ducklings. None of the books/articles I can find mention this.

No, my Pekins nested in their coop. I did not really want ducklings but when I threw out eggs, the girls started nesting outside. I was told not to worry Pekins would get tired of sitting. Anyway I'm thrilled and just want to help my Momma ducks.

Back
Top Bottom