First broody hen questions.

kerrybaci75

Hatching
8 Years
May 10, 2011
Ok I am in my third year of raising chicken for the purpose of fresh eggs and my amusement. My 3 year old black sexlink has gone broody isnt that kinds old for her to be doing this for the first time? My other question is I was late getting up this morning and husband let the chicken out of their coop my broody went for a quick bite, there were eggs in the nesting box next to where she had been nesting and she sat on those instead. It was about an hour later I went to check on her and saw what happen so i put her eggs under her, are they going to be ok? Plus will she wait for the new eggs to hatch before she moves????

How long has she been sittin on her eggs?

This is what I do when this happens with one of mine... I just move them back to their nestbox if they happen to forget what nestbox was theirs. I do not let them set on new eggs with their already hatching eggs. If she was just settin on the new eggs for an hour, even a day their ok to remove & eat... If I question an egg I just mark it then crack it in a bowl when I use it to make sure nothing started growin. I also mark the eggs I put under my hens so I can take out the new eggs & hens lays in their nest.

Hope this helps ya.

I am having the same problem with my broody hen! She gets up and stretches and while she's gone, someone else hops into her nest box and lays eggs. Then the broody gets all confused and starts setting on whatever eggs she can find. Some people put their broody hen in a different pen, with just her eggs (and food, water, bedding, etc) while she's setting. Then she can't get confused and no one else can lay in her nest. I left mine in with the flock and have had good results.
Always mark the eggs you want to hatch with a marker or pencil. I mark mine with a permanent marker. I put 2 big X's on, one on each end. This makes it quick and easy to determine which ones are the originals.
Mine chickens always seem to know exactly how long they can leave their eggs to eat, stretch, whatever before they need to get back to the nest. I wouldn't worry about her getting up, just check whenever you go in to make sure she's on the correct eggs. Plus with the warmer weather, the hatching eggs will stay warmer longer without mama hen.
Towards the end, the hens don't get up much at all. I always feel bad for her and take some treats to her box. I know this is probably unsanitary and might draw in critters but geez, she's got to eat, right?
Once the first chick hatched, I moved mama hen, the chick and the remaining eggs (and food, water, etc) to a dog crate in the hen house. I locked them in until all the eggs hatched and everyone was adjusted. I'd open the door when I was in there but mama didn't want to come out with the chicks until they were about 2 weeks old.
I haven't been raising chickens very long so I could be doing everything completely wrong but so far, it's worked for me.
Good luck!

Great Advice so far but I have to add.......

Understand that I only add this because BSL chickens come from an aggressive parent stock (RIR or hatchery BR are often aggressive) alot of times and I wanted to give you my experience with aggressive hens and broody hens in the same coop. I am not trying to contradict anyone and agree with all the advice given. My 15 years experience has proven that it is better safe than sorry when it comes to where a broody hen's nest is located. Please , Previous-Posters, I intend no offense at all.

You may want to make sure that that you separate her and the nest from the other hens in the flock. "BONDER" gives excellent advice with exact perfection on how to ensure that she is not confused about where her nest is or the others don't add eggs to it. However, I raise American Gamefowl and it has been my experience that some of the other hens may "break" her broody instinct. Some of the more dominant members of the flock may be so determined to lay an egg in the particular nest that they peck at her until she can't resist them any longer. Most of the time, hens go back to the nest when the others have finished but egg-laying can take some time and the eggs get too cold. This will result in alot (if not all) of the eggs not hatching and a total waste of time for mama. Hens go through alot while trying to hatch eggs, some studies indicate that broody hens lose 12-17% of their body weight in successful broodiness. I am just not willing to risk her going through all that to not get the reward of being a mama. I always separate my broody hens from the others, including roosters just to be safe.

I hope this helps and I hope you do well in whatever you decide

Timothy in KY

BANTAMWYANDOTTE: No offense here, I think you added great advice to the list
smile.png
I actually usually do separate my mommas w/chicks from the rest of the flock for about 2 weeks after hatch.

Quote:
Thank you very much. I never want to offend anyone or contradict anyone in a manner that could appear belittling to them in any way. I want to educate people and help them make an informed decision. In order to do that I think they should be given any additional information I have in concordance with the information they have been given. I truly wish to build people up, never tear them down. I believe that people are like trees, if all you ever do is cut them down how can you ever expect them to grow?

Again, Thank You!

Timothy in KY

BANTAMWYANDOTTE wrote:
Jen4 wrote:

BANTAMWYANDOTTE: No offense here, I think you added great advice to the list smile I actually usually do separate my mommas w/chicks from the rest of the flock for about 2 weeks after hatch.

Thank you very much. I never want to offend anyone or contradict anyone in a manner that could appear belittling to them in any way. I want to educate people and help them make an informed decision. In order to do that I think they should be given any additional information I have in concordance with the information they have been given. I truly wish to build people up, never tear them down. I believe that people are like trees, if all you ever do is cut them down how can you ever expect them to grow?

Again, Thank You!

Timothy in KY​

I agree
smile.png

Thanks for all the advice i went and removed the other eggs from under her, she is not happy with me..I do plan on moving her when the eggs hatch she is only laying on two. I am not to worried about her getting picked on by everyone else she is my dominant hen, she calls the shot on everything from when they go to bed to which part of the roost they can have, she even keep my Rooster in check, its kinda funny. I was really actually shocked she went broody I havent seen any signs with her. Thanks a bunch.

She has been sitting for 12 days, I really hope they hatch for her she is putting in alot of effort.

Back
Top Bottom