First Bumblefoot experience

Here is the foot today. The bandage fell off so I soaked and cleaned the foot. Applied fresh gauze and wrapped it. The white part in the center is a flap of skin. The black stuff is just dead tissue. No drainage at all. How does it look?

So today when i changed the dressing i cut off that dead flap of skin. It still appeared black around the edges and there seemed to be dead tissue inside. There is no drainage. Will the dead part eventually come off? I'm not sure what to do with it. I just keep applying antibiotic ointment and redressing it.

Are there any new pictures? Keep treating with the ointment and make sure that you have dug out the kernel, there isn't always one, being very careful. Flush and drain and pus or gunk and watch for infection. You can easily soak the foot in Epsom salt or dissolved rock salt, table salt, but it is up to you on this.

I got one large kernal, one small kernal and a lot of pus out the first time. It looks the same today as it did in the last picture I posted. I soaked the foot today and gently squeezed but no liquid pus came out. There was no drainage on the guaze. I am mostly wondering if I should go in and cut all the dead tissue off or will it fall out on its own?

Is there any kind of debriding agent that is safe for a chicken?

I was gone a few days here, so sorry I didn't respond earlier.

How is the pad today? That doesn't look all that bad. As long as that pus looking stuff doesnt' get any bigger or weepy, I would leave it alone. You might try soaking the food in warm epsom salt baths for 5 or so mins a day to help to draw the gunk to the surface. If it looks worse than this today, delicately go back in and only into that pus looking stuff. Don't cut into any live tissue.

Keep applying ointments and keep the bandage on at all times, and dry.

Here is the foot today. The bandage fell off so I soaked and cleaned the foot. Applied fresh gauze and wrapped it. The white part in the center is a flap of skin. The black stuff is just dead tissue. No drainage at all. How does it look?

It really looks the same today as it did in that picture. I have been changing the dressing daily. There isn't any drainage that I can see. The dressing is moist when I take it off but we have had so much rain. Even though the coop is covered she still gets her foot wet. She is eating, drinking, and laying. She is no longer limping and today is the first day that I though the swelling was less, even if only slightly. I will take another picture when I change the dressing tomorrow. I am getting better at catching her. I usually have to do it in the daylight because I work 3rd shift. But I'm no longer afraid of her flapping her wings all around my head.. haha

Sounds like she is improving. These foot pad things dont heal fast at all. Takes 4 to 6 weeks in all. Just do your best and i am sure she will be fine.

Keep us posted! :)

Back
Top Bottom