First chicken try

69.00 at Academy. I went around it with mesh hard plastic.

I put the playpen inside the tent with a bunch of homemade perches and toys. 14x12 and they love it and get to fly high.

Iadahl, at first I was afraid of letting mine free range, thus the tunnel system, but they've been fine, free ranging starting last October, through the winter even. They lay eggs in their coop and they come back to the coop at night without any bribing. I can get them in early with bribing. They go in when there's a storm (or they go in one of our sheds.) They seem very capable of taking care of themselves. They find so much to eat that they need very little feed (except in winter) and they are happy and clean.
I talked to everyone I know around here who has chickens free range and none of them reported predators. The 2 people whose chickens were killed by predators in the past year, did not free range them, the birds were killed in their pens by dogs who ripped through the wire mesh. So since my pen is not predator proof, I'm trusting Nature and the hens' own savviness.
Good luck with yours!
Sue

So we are able to let them out with no issues. The tend to stay pretty close to their coop ...

It's funny to watch them chase each other for
[/IMG][/IMG] worms!

Last edited:
Sadly - some critter got a hold of at least 1 of our 7 hens today (middle of the day!) the kids are sad - we were able to locate 3 healthy ones- but they were hiding up in our deck

Still looking for the missing 3- my son saw the critter (must be a mink or weasel ) He said it looked like a big rat ...

Kids are sad

Back
Top Bottom