First Chicks! AND PICTURES!

EyeHeartBantams

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 5, 2012
Manitoba, Canada
Went out to feed this morning and my first RJF chicks have hatched! Have at least two that are all fluffy and soft right now. I'm thinking of pulling them from the mama though; she's been a good girl hatching them out herself, but I'm worried about the rooster killing them, and I have no way of separating the rooster, and no way of rigging up a heat-lamp for the babies either where they currently are.

Would it be okay to hand-rear them after the mother has hatched them? She's quiet and lets me pick up the chicks, and takes them back when I do, I just thought it might be better with our crummy late summer/fall weather (hot, rainy, cool) to raise them by hand.

Oh! And pictures to come! So excited! These are the first chicks I've ever had hatched on my property and I'm so happy!

Last edited:
The mama should protect them from the others. Actually, sometimes the roo helps. They do not need a heat lamp. The mama can keep them warm in very cool temps with their body heat. I've seen 3 day old chicks running around in 40 degree weather; they run under mama for a few minutes when needed, warm up, and out they go -- and I don't have a lot of personal experience with broodies. Chicks raised by mama tend to grow faster and they acquire natural immunity from cocci (and who knows what else) by being with mama. Also, some hens apparently grieve when their chicks are removed, searching and calling for them for quite some time. Also, if they grow up with the flock, they are already accepted when the mama decides to quit mothering them, usually around 5-6 weeks of age.

It's quite natural for a mama hen to raise her chicks in with the flock. If they hatch them off by themselves in the woods, they will return to the flock with chicks in tow when they are quite young.

I haven't even seen my girl come out of the shelter yet, but she still has a few unhatched eggs under her, and it is miserable rainy, so I'm sure she'll bring 'em out soon. I handled one this morning and mum didn't seem to mind too much; hopefully I can handle the chicks frequently anyway and get them to be quieter than their parents.

And the roo may be helping; I can't tell. He's been standing guard over the mamas the whole time they've been nesting; he'll come out of the shelter, do a walk around the pen, and then go back in again.

Last edited:
If you want to take them away, they'll do fine. That's what i always did, i only had the one chicken house, and as many as 20 chickens, and some of them were pretty mean.. Now I have two houses so there's less competition, and i have the space for a cage for mom and babies.

Waiting another day or so to hopefully see the maximum number hatched. Not sure how many exactly are out right now cause momma is keeping on them tight, but they look healthy so far. I'm going to pick up some chick starter for them on payday for when they start leaving the nest, and some laying ration for the girls. Very excited to see my first babies ever born; now here's hoping I can sell them. XD

Well, ended up hatching out three, and lost two due to the fact that they could run right through the chicken wire.
tongue.png
Tiny little buggers. So I snatched up the survivor and I'm raising her by hand. Let me tell you...the only place I can keep it is in my bedroom, and it don't let me sleep worth a crud. I bought some chicks to keep it company, so now I have four chicks waking me up at dawn. XD Anyway, here's a pic of Chippy, my one surviving RJF chick. Hopefully it's a female, and if so I'll likely just keep her.

One of the chicks at about two days old or so; my friend took it from outside the pen while I held the chick.

And this is Chippy, taken today in the photo box I made. She looks a little rough as she wasn't feeling well just prior to the picture, but she recovered surprisingly quickly with some TLC.

Back
Top Bottom