First coop construction underway

mcliff3

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Massachusetts
Coop construction is underway so the ladies will have a place to enjoy when they outgrow the brooder! Need to get room on tomorrow and cut out window openings (and other half of door).

It sounds like you've got a good plan going. An often stated "number" for ventilation is 1-sqft of vent area per chicken. I'm roughly counting 7-sqft in the south and north windows and the gable vents. I'm not sure how much the soffit and ridge vents will add to this, but I think you'll be good with it. BUT, in the winter you will probably want to shut that north window will you not? But, with some good soffit vents I think you should be fine

An 8x8 run will get you by for a while as the chickens grow, expanding it as you mentioned will be great! The more space you can give your chickens the happier and healthier they will be!

It's looking good!

Ed

Roof sheathing done and felt down. Need to get windows and door installed and get inside coop finished during the week, then hopefully get the roof shingled this weekend. Then get the run done in the following week. Almost there!!!

Ed,

The coop is 8'x8'.

I have it framed out for a 36x22 window on the south face wall as well as the north facing wall. I also framed a 4"x14" vent on both gable ends for additional ventilation. I left a gap on the roof sheathing for a ridge vent and will be putting soffit vents in as well. I haven't cut out any of those opening yet, but they are framed out inside the coop.

Going to add 8'x8' covered run - attached to coop - so that the chickens will be able to be outside in run even when it rains or snows if they want to get outside! Will add additional fenced run (covered with bird netting only) later to expand their run size.

We have 11 chicks in the brooder right now, so hoping to have 11 chickens living in the coop/run in a few more weeks!

Mike

Progress continues. Still need to fence in run and do some trim work. Need to build the nesting boxes and roost poles and should be ready for the girls!

You stated two 22x36 windows on north and south walls. I was thinking open spaces of 22x36...will you be permanently removing the window panes out of both windows? What is the status of the soffit vents? Soffit vents are good in that they get the ventilation high above the chickens' heads. Each space between roof rafters (16"o.c.) creates roughly a little more than 1/3-sqft of vent area.

At 1-sqft of ventilation area per chicken, as stated in most recommendations, your eleven chickens (figuring large fowl) would require 11-sqft of *permanent* ventilation. Moisture and ammonia/etc buildup is much more dangerous than cold temperatures. As long as the birds have a sheltered area that is draft-free they will do well in substantially cold weather...as long as they aren't in a damp/moist environment. Proper ventilation pretty well takes care of the moisture/ammonia issues.

What type of door will the coop have? Some vents could be made in it, too.

Ed

Ed,

I'm in the process of adding another 8 sq ft of ventilation to the coop (south and east wall - upper half of the wall. I will post pictures when I'm done. Should put me around 12 sq ft of ventilation (permanent) once completed, so I will be at the 1 sq.ft per bird number.

Mike

Wonderful, Mike. That upper venting should make a comfortable shelter for the chickens! Their health should be good!!! It will be great for both summer and winter weather. Up high above the chickens' heads. :)

Ed

Back
Top Bottom