First Egg with no shell, is it possible? 'normal'?

itsmechrissy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
SE Wisconsin
So earlier today I got my first egg (yay girls!).... but I just went to change the water and found the girls in the run huddled around what looked like an egg with no shell, the were eating away at it. I opened the run to let them hang in the yard for a bit while I did the water change etc.and took the waterer away to fill it. Three of my four girls left the run as I was getting the waterer.

When I returned Morticia (the forth girl) was still there and there was what looked like a broken yolk and egg whites where the waterer had been. Morticia was eating away at it and the other girls soon joined her. There was no shell at all...

I know it's not odd for first eggs to be small or have softer shells, but no shell? Is that 'normal' too? What do you think?

Yep totally normal, it sometimes takes them a few tries to get it right. This is what I found the first day they laid.....

87534_egg.jpg

Very good to know... Morticia is the friendliest of my girls. She's such a sweetie, has always been kind of a lap chicken. I think it was Natasha that laid the other egg (which was small but had a fairly hard shell). Both Natash and Mortish started doing the squat thing the other day! Having chickens is such an adventure! d

Yes it is!! Something I never thought I would get in to, but so glad I did!!

My Ginger (New Hampshire Red) laid a soft-shelled egg INSIDE another soft-shelled egg this weekend. The poor thing is having a rough start
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom