First Egg

CrazyCraig

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
It finally happened, my twenty week Australorp just laid her first egg!!! I am new to chickens and was blessed that I was cleaning the run/coop while she decided to lay this. It is a tiny egg weighing 1 ounce. My six year old daughter was so happy, she want's to check every hour to see if there are any more. Question when the birds are this young how often do they lay? How big should I expect these eggs to be when she is older?

Thank you

Attachments

• tessa_egg_1.jpg
    tessa_egg_1.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 4
It finally happened, my twenty week Australorp just laid her first egg!!! I am new to chickens and was blessed that I was cleaning the run/coop while she decided to lay this. It is a tiny egg weighing 1 ounce. My six year old daughter was so happy, she want's to check every hour to see if there are any more. Question when the birds are this young how often do they lay? How big should I expect these eggs to be when she is older?

Thank you

That's awesome!! I have 5 Australorps. Seems like one started laying about a week before the rest started (last year). I get 4 to 5 eggs everyday, once in a while I'll only get 3. The eggs will probably get a little bit bigger over time. I've got a couple that lay eggs about twice that size, the rest are in between what you have, and the larger size.

Happy hunting!! That's the fun part.

Back
Top Bottom