First Egg?????

LearnAsUGo

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2023
I have a cream legbar who has been laying a light blue egg. I have a younger legbar mix who is due to lay her first any day. This am I found an egg on the ground not in the nesting box. Thought it was my older girl because I changed up the nesting material and figured she was protesting. I noticed it had calcium bumps on it, which hasn’t been an issue to date.

After I ate it, I put the shell in with the other used shells, which is when I noticed it’s a slightly deeper blue than all the others. Could it be my younger girl’s first egg or does extra calcium affect the egg color??

Photo attached for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_6506.jpeg
    IMG_6506.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 30
I have a cream legbar who has been laying a light blue egg. I have a younger legbar mix who is due to lay her first any day. This am I found an egg on the ground not in the nesting box. Thought it was my older girl because I changed up the nesting material and figured she was protesting. I noticed it had calcium bumps on it, which hasn’t been an issue to date.

After I ate it, I put the shell in with the other used shells, which is when I noticed it’s a slightly deeper blue than all the others. Could it be my younger girl’s first egg or does extra calcium affect the egg color??

Photo attached for reference.
A hen's egg color rarely changes and if it does it's pretty subtle because it's in her genes what color egg she's going to lay. You could see, like I said a subtle change, but never anything beyond that. With that said, I'd say that's your younger lady laying! Congrats on the eggs! Fun stuff!

The calcium bumbs shouldn't last either. I rarely get one, but yet I will see one from an old hen a couple times a year.

A hen's egg color rarely changes and if it does it's pretty subtle because it's in her genes what color egg she's going to lay. You could see, like I said a subtle change, but never anything beyond that. With that said, I'd say that's your younger lady laying! Congrats on the eggs! Fun stuff!

The calcium bumbs shouldn't last either. I rarely get one, but yet I will see one from an old hen a couple times a year.
I hope you’re right!!!! The blue is really pretty and I was a little bummed when the first one was so light. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom