First eggs

Lsox

Chirping
May 23, 2020
Our ISA brown hens just started laying! We got them from TSC as tiny chicks on April 10th and the first, tiny, egg arrived on Monday. The second came this morning, a double yolker. We have six of these hens and hoping that more will start laying soon. Our barred rocks seem further away and our bantams...who knows?

Does anyone know when these other breeds should start laying? The bantams were "assorted" but looks from their coloring that they might be old English game. We were also very lucky, both the bantams and barred rocks were straight run, and we got four bantam hens, three barred rock hens and one very satisfied looking rooster.

If they were newly hatched on April 10th that would make them 17 weeks. If they're laying they're probably closer to 20 weeks, but that's still super early! Go ISA browns! I'd be patient with the barred rocks. It might be another month.

Found another, very very small egg today as well. Weighed about 20g. Is that likely to be a first egg from another ISA brown, or a bantam egg?

This is the tiny egg next to a store bought large egg
MVIMG_20200805_134220.jpg

I'll have to wait for the pullets to lay another, as I ate the one from this morning! Will get one as soon as they lay.

Here's a picture of the mini egg versus one from the pullets. What do you think?

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200806_111636.jpg
    MVIMG_20200806_111636.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom