First Eggs

UnicornChicken

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2015
Hi! My six hens started laying eggs on Monday and so far we have about sixteen eggs in our fridge. I have been told that it isn't good to eat their eggs until they have been laying for a month. Is this true? And if not, can I eat them now or is there a specific time when I should start eating them? Sorry for this weird question! I have had my girls for about 4 months and they are my first chickens ever! I am still learning the basics! All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

UnicornChicken

Hi! My six hens started laying eggs on Monday and so far we have about sixteen eggs in our fridge. I have been told that it isn't good to eat their eggs until they have been laying for a month. Is this true? And if not, can I eat them now or is there a specific time when I should start eating them? Sorry for this weird question! I have had my girls for about 4 months and they are my first chickens ever! I am still learning the basics! All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

UnicornChicken

Congratulations on getting those first eggs, and yes, you can eat the first eggs that a pullet lays; ENJOY! :eek:)

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.
I've never heard that you can't eat eggs until the hens are a month old. I've always eaten the first eggs and nothing seemed wrong. So, I would say go ahead! Congrats on them by the way!
thumbsup.gif

Eggs will be fine - usually first eggs are smaller and will gradually gain size as hens continue to lay. I love the doggy in your avatar. I bet he would love a hard boiled egg - my dogs used to go nuts for them. It was their birthday treat.

Welcome to BYC!

Hope you enjoy those eggs...they're always better than what you can get at the store. What kind of chickens do you have?

Nice to have you here!

Thanks to everyone for all your help! I just ate the eggs! Delicious! I'll be sure to hard boil some and give them to my dog, Scout. :) My chickens, Duck, Dream, Jade, Song, Peck, and Angel, are rhode island reds- I think. Thanks again for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom