First ever chick……… Gone?

MWSIFarm

Chirping
Feb 22, 2022
Western AUS. SW Region
Hey People!

Yesterday our silkie mumma hen hatched the first ever chick we have ever had. The little thing was sitting under her mother when i spotted the shell in the nesting box and saw the little chick under its mother.

The hen was sitting on three eggs, one hatched.

A few hours later, its gone. Like without a trace.

Im aussuming a predator has taken it? Although ive no idea what the coop and run are covered and it was the middle of the day. Ive heard of roosters or other hens killing chicks but do they leave the body behind?

Ive also heard they go hiding but i completely searched the coop with no luck.

Now the hen is back sitting on her 2 eggs left.

Any idea? Just bad luck?

It's possible. I have chicks occasionally disappear when they're hatched in the flock. Though it's usually the mice or magpies, the only chicks my birds eat are dead ones they find while I'm working

Yeah she is with 4 other hens and the rooster. We are not overly fussed about the breeding but we would like to increase the flock was trying to take the approach of nature would do its thing.

Is it 1000% the hen and chicks need to be isolated? Ive picked up hens from breeders before and they have tons of hens and roosters all together and chicks running around with their mothers?
Is this broody with other hens if so they prolly ate it

Yeah she is with 4 other hens and the rooster. We are not overly fussed about the breeding but we would like to increase the flock was trying to take the approach of nature would do its thing.

Is it 1000% the hen and chicks need to be isolated? Ive picked up hens from breeders before and they have tons of hens and roosters all together and chicks running around with their mothers?
No, not 1000%

Back
Top Bottom