First ever hatch... Can't wait.

I woke up this morning to stable temps and 4 more chicks! 3 little chipmunks from my production red hen and one tiny little black one from one of my Ameraucana eggs. I have 4 left and one of the other blue eggs has a bloody pipped hole in it. Chick seems to be alive. Not moving much, but hanging in there. So far, my first hatch has been pretty successful!

Congrats! Yeah my five all hatched. But this morning when I found the last three hatched, one still had a yolk sac and looks like it's pulled some of his intestines out? The poor thing is stil alive I'm not sure what to do for him!

Anyone know if this guy will be okay? It was a bloody membrane this morning and now is dark brown. He's still alive and breathing........

Anyone know if this guy will be okay? It was a bloody membrane this morning and now is dark brown. He's still alive and breathing........
I have heard that you can remove a tiny piece around where the pip is to give them air..leave that for 12-18 hours or so and then if you need to you can pick away a lil of the shell..if it is still bloody, stop and wait some more..

So, I tried to help the little guy. Cracked a bit of shell away from his nose and dampened the membrane. He looks shrink-wrapped. I saw big veins, so I put him back in the incubator with a bit of damp cloth over his egg so the incubator fan doesn't dry him out too much. If the veins are lots smaller tomorrow morning, I'll try assisting him out. He's still in the game. :)

So, I tried to help the little guy. Cracked a bit of shell away from his nose and dampened the membrane. He looks shrink-wrapped. I saw big veins, so I put him back in the incubator with a bit of damp cloth over his egg so the incubator fan doesn't dry him out too much. If the veins are lots smaller tomorrow morning, I'll try assisting him out. He's still in the game. :)
How did it go? I am a nervous wreck--I can see myslef not sleeping for the next few days..put the 'babies' in lockdown today.. Oh the suspense...lmao

He Didn't Make It. I Didn't The Little Bit Of Blood I Saw Looked That Bad, But He Wasn't Ready. :(
If My Last Two Don't Hatch By The End Of The Day, They're Getting Tossed. 9 Out Of 12 Is Good For A First Hatch.

Just checked my last two. Opened them up a bit and they were dead. Fully developed, just never hatched. I didn't dig deep enough to see if they were malpositioned. I'm not good enough yet to know if that would've been the problem anyway.

Thought I'd add a pick of the 9 of them all dried off. 7 with my friend and two I grafted onto my broody (only broody 10 days, so I was lucky!)

She had three boys from my barred rock with white spots on their head and one was spoken for so she brought the other two over. I'll raise them and process them most likely. But it made my broody hen happy!

Yay!!! Everyone has done sooo well! I now have 24 chicks and they are still hatching!! I have lost 2 tho!

Back
Top Bottom