First flock for us, sick! should we return them?

Noted. Thanks!

Just heard from the seller and he will give me a credit, not a refund. Not sure it's worth it at this point. Uggg. I really do hope everything works out with them at my place

Just got home. Please watch the video and let me know what you think. She just started this symptom today. Has to stretch her neck up to breathe and seems pretty tough on her.

I would treat them with some antibiotics, stress can bring on illness, moving them to your home is stressful, the dogs gathered around them is stressful, the wind blowing on them is stressful, so block some wind, get them off the wet ground constantly, start some antibiotics and let them settle and get used to their new home. And I would ask is she doing that to breathe or is she attempting to swallow.

They are all getting plenty of love, the dogs aren't bothering them he was just there with me, though they do like to lay next to the fence. They aren't barkers' or do anything to make the chicks nervous or anything. I hear what your saying though.
The pics of the coop shows a 4.5 foot roost and 3ft nesting boxes and coop is very shaded and so is half of run. The shaved pine is fresh and not damp. It's 78 degrees here currently so not cold.

What antibiotics do you suggest? Giving them VetRX twice a day by mouth. 2 drops each.

Not trying to be cold, just practical. I'd kill the birds, bury them or burn them.
Hose the coop and the run down with bleach, give it a few weeks, and try again with some new birds from somewhere else.
Do you really want to spend your time trying to nurse an obviously sick flock back to health?
I don't know what your time is worth, but it wouldn't be worth it to me.

I'm not familiar with the types of antibiotics for chickens since I haven't needed to use one, I would pick one out that covers your symptoms, if that's what you are using than keep it up, your pictures helped see your set up better.

Others are saying cull, but at this point you have them, they have already infected your environment, why not attempt to save them. I had this problem when I started with chickens, it's possible your birds picked up something in your environment that their bodies aren't familiar with. They are at an age where they are sensitive to such things. I like getting chicks now and raising them in the environment they are going to live to get used to the organisms that are present.

Just got home. Please watch the video and let me know what you think. She just started this symptom today. Has to stretch her neck up to breathe and seems pretty tough on her.

Can you bring her inside where it's warm? Is she drinking and eating? Lots of antibiotics to choose from, but hard to say what would be best. Do you have and human antibiotics?

-Kathy

Tylan 50 antibiotic, 1cc for each bird for 5 days. Got this info from a friend who has had chickens for many many years. Should do the trick.

Yes I agree to try our best. Next time we are getting chicks for sure though.

Tylan 50 antibiotic, 1cc for each bird for 5 days. Got this info from a friend who has had chickens for many many years. Should do the trick.

Yes I agree to try our best. Next time we are getting chicks for sure though.

That *might* work if it's mycoplasma, but it will *not* work if it's E. coli, pseudomonas aeruginosa or a virus. FYI, Tylan works best if given at least twice a day.

Quote:
CRD indications:

• Administer medicated drinking water for three days; however, medicated water may be administered for one to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated chickens must consume enough medicated water to provide 50 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.
Turkeys:

• Administer medicated drinking water for three days; however, medicated water may be administered for two to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated turkeys must consume enough medicated water to provide 60 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.

For those that don't have a gram scale, you can use this info to calculate your dose:

And this for the injectable:

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom