First fowl pox, now...?

johnsonfarm

Songster
10 Years
Oct 17, 2012
Wisconsin
Nine month old male turkey, kept as a pet with one turkey hen and a flock of chickens. He is getting over fowl pox (I assume he's recovering, there haven't been any new pox and the scabs are starting to fall off.) In the past few days he has started to close his eyes a lot, like he's tired all the time? He still eats and begs for treats and wanders around, but he's not acting 100% normal. When I cleaned the coop I noticed the poo under where he perches is loose and yellow (but not frothy, so not blackhead?) I should have taken a picture for reference, I'll try tomorrow. The hen is perfectly healthy, no pox so far and her poops are normal.

So does this sound like some secondary infection from the fowl pox? Or coccidiosis? Or blackhead? I contacted our extension office and they said blackhead isn't a problem in our area, but anything is possible of course. I've been giving him Rooster Booster just to try and support him. I also picked up some Durastat (oregano oil water treatment). I have Terramycin tablets and Corid powder on hand if they'd be anything to try. I also thought maybe I should spray his head with Vetricyn because where the scabs have come off look a little irritated. Any ideas or suggestions?

He could just be a little tired from being sick.

Also usually with cocci the poop is dark green or bloody.

I had a couple turkeys this year get blackhead, this is a picture i had taken of their poop.
20200627_102208.jpg

He could just be a little tired from being sick.

Also usually with cocci the poop is dark green or bloody.

I had a couple turkeys this year get blackhead, this is a picture i had taken of their poop.
View attachment 2432113

Hmmm, his poo is a much lighter yellow. If it is blackhead, how long does it last before they die or you know they'll recover? He seemed a little better yesterday.

Sadly neither of my two turkeys lived.
They will die pretty quick. Neither of them lived past a week. Blackhead will make them go down hill fast and causes them to loose alot of weight and become limp and lethargic.
To try to treat it you'll need metronidazole and fenbendazole 10 (Safeguard/Panacur)

Also my turkeys just got over fowl pox, and I had a hen that would close her eyes because the pox around her face would irritate her eyes as they started to crust up and fall off.
Also turkeys can be bullies with each other and are curious and will peck at anything. Could just be as simple as another turkey pecked his eyes.
Also certain foods like corn can change the color of their stool.

Back
Top Bottom